VOGONS

First post, by Skidlz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I have a K6-2+ 550 (clocked at 600MHz) and an AGP Voodoo3 3000 in an EP-58MVP3C-M with the 4/11/00 BIOS.
I'm running 98SE and I have the chipset + Voodoo drivers installed. I'm just trying to run Unreal Gold at 1024 x 768 w/ Glide and I'm getting a sputtery average of 20fps. If I use a PCI Radeon 7000, I get a smoother 40+ fps.

So what's the deal? Shouldn't the Voodoo3 be performing a lot better?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 19, by mikeyp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was under the impession that the Voodoo 3 needed to run that game at lower resolutions. I remember mine being slow on Unreal Tournament and I had to run it at 800x600 or 640x480. My Voodoo 1 can't even do that and needs to be at 500something to be playable.

I could be wrong and mis-remembering of course.

Last edited by mikeyp on 2019-04-06, 20:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 19, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What about other Glide games. How do they perform?

What happens if you lower the CPU speed?

How about if the motherboard cache is disabled in BIOS?

What is the PCI latency set to in BIOS?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 19, by Justin1091

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What is your V3 bios? What does 3dfx tools say about clock speed? Which V3 driver? Where did you measure the FPS?

I'm asking this because I once flashed my V3 3500 to a 166 mhz version instead of 183 and discovered years later that it was running too slow.

Try patching Unreal and install latest 3dfx drivers, don't bother with unofficial ones. Like cyclone3d says try some other games.

And yeah it should be performing a lot better! 20 fps is garbage.

Reply 7 of 19, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's probably a driver issue, do a complete driver wipe and install older drivers from dx6.1 era. I've always used early drivers from original CD to play games on PCs with weak CPUs, just because it provided a better performace than newer drivers.

Reply 8 of 19, by Skidlz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The only other thing I can run at the moment is the MDK2 benchmark. It's also very slow with the AGP Voodoo3 and runs reasonably well with the PCI Radeon 7000.

I have tried lowering the CPU multiplier to 5x, but it didn't change the framerate with the Voodoo.

Disabling the external cache yields 19fps.

Do the PCI setting affect an AGP card? I don't see any setting for timing or latency.
The AGP is set to 64mb memory share and 2x speed.

Reply 9 of 19, by Skidlz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Justin1091 wrote:
What is your V3 bios? What does 3dfx tools say about clock speed? Which V3 driver? Where did you measure the FPS? […]
Show full quote

What is your V3 bios? What does 3dfx tools say about clock speed? Which V3 driver? Where did you measure the FPS?

I'm asking this because I once flashed my V3 3500 to a 166 mhz version instead of 183 and discovered years later that it was running too slow.

Try patching Unreal and install latest 3dfx drivers, don't bother with unofficial ones. Like cyclone3d says try some other games.

And yeah it should be performing a lot better! 20 fps is garbage.

On boot it says 1.00.01
Driver is 4.12.01.0666

3dfx tool says 166mhz.

I think Unreal is current. It's the Gold release.

Last edited by Skidlz on 2019-04-06, 22:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I hope you're actually running with the Glide renderer and not with Direct3D (which would work with the V3 but slower). That's all I can really think of. It should definitely run faster than 20.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 19, by Skidlz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

I hope you're actually running with the Glide renderer and not with Direct3D (which would work with the V3 but slower). That's all I can really think of. It should definitely run faster than 20.

It is set to use Glide.

I tried a PCI GeForce 5200 and it performs similarly, around 20fps. I happen to have the same card in AGP, but it completely stalls on games.

Reply 12 of 19, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which version of the chipset drivers do you have installed?

If I remember correctly, there is a specific version that actually works like it should.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 19, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which version of Unreal are you running? I know 226 works well with 3dfx cards, while 227 can cripple performance.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 14 of 19, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mikeyp wrote:

I was under the impession that the Voodoo 3 needed to run that game at lower resolutions. I remember mine being slow on Unreal Tournament and I had to run it at 800x600 or 640x480. My Voodoo 1 can't even do that and needs to be at 500something to be playable.

I could be wrong and mis-remembering of course.

according to this
https://www.anandtech.com/show/647/12
V3 3000 + k6 3 450 can deliver 37FPS at 1024x768 and 26FPS wit ha k6 2 300

so there is something wrong with the OP software/configuration, unless their testing scene is extremely different.

Reply 15 of 19, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably the wonders of MVP3 working their way up. Make sure you install the proper drivers for the chipset, I suggest version 4.35 and earlier per this post. Ali Aladdin V also has some serious issues with the way write combining works, you can get a massive performance uplift with just a few tweaks using the AGP utility for that chipset.
There was a thread about that a few months ago, but it won't work in your case since you have an MVP3 board.

Reply 16 of 19, by Skidlz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Garrett W wrote:

Probably the wonders of MVP3 working their way up. Make sure you install the proper drivers for the chipset, I suggest version 4.35 and earlier per this post. Ali Aladdin V also has some serious issues with the way write combining works, you can get a massive performance uplift with just a few tweaks using the AGP utility for that chipset.
There was a thread about that a few months ago, but it won't work in your case since you have an MVP3 board.

Ok. I did a clean install of 98SE along with the same drivers: Via 4-in-1 4.35 and Voodoo 4.12.01.0666. I had a CD for an older version of Unreal, so I ended up with 222r.
It now runs at 38fps in 1024x768! Woo!

Are there any BIOS setting, other tricks, etc to get more performance out of it? I guess I'll try cooling and overclocking the VD3 3000.

Thanks everyone

Reply 17 of 19, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Higher bus speed and memory clocks help a little. The high performance approach with Super 7 was disabled motherboard cache and trying to get to 133MHz FSB. The Voodoo3 isnt really the bottleneck unless you play at high resolution.

Reply 18 of 19, by Skidlz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:

More bus speed and memory bandwidth help a little. The Voodoo3 isnt really the bottleneck unless you play at high resolution.

Yeah, you're right. I tried the overclocking and it only got me a couple fps.

I might throw the Voodoo in my Athlon XP rig, just for kicks.

Thanks

Reply 19 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skidlz wrote:

I had a CD for an older version of Unreal, so I ended up with 222r.
It now runs at 38fps in 1024x768! Woo!

For what it's worth, that's the exact version Voodoo3 3000s comes with 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem