VOGONS

First post, by assasincz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

I got myself a working Maxi Gamer Cougar TNT2 M64 from Guillemot - PCI version (32MB - Video edition), and I tried making it work in my "over-the-top" Pentium 166 build.
I went for Win 98 SE for OS - te trouble is that no matter what drivers I tried downloading and installing, I could not make the card work in other than basic VGA mode (base win drivers).
Closest I got was installing apparently genuine Guillemot drivers (link to dcve-9x-240 https://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_pa … 23&v_code=18949) but after reboot, the OS reported "incorrect card configuration" and reverted to basic VGA mode.
I tried generic nVidia Riva TNT2 drivers (from Vogons library), but after installing, Windows would not even boot.

Can any of you guide me to working drivers? Or advice what can I try?

My system is:
CPU – Pentium 166Mhz - FV80502166
MB - PcChips M560 rev 3

Reply 1 of 4, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also got the same problem when running a TNT2 M64 PCI on an ALi/Acer M1543 (Aladdin IV) based motherboard, the DataExpert TX531. The CPU I use is a Pentium MMX 166MHz @ 208MHz, also tried it at stock speed. Haven't found any solution to this yet.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 4, by assasincz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kamerat wrote:

I also got the same problem when running a TNT2 M64 PCI on an ALi/Acer M1543 (Aladdin IV) based motherboard

OK so the fact that you have the basically the same issue is comforting, but at the same time disappointing 😐

Reply 3 of 4, by philD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote on 2019-04-09, 12:44:

I also got the same problem when running a TNT2 M64 PCI on an ALi/Acer M1543 (Aladdin IV) based motherboard, the DataExpert TX531. The CPU I use is a Pentium MMX 166MHz @ 208MHz, also tried it at stock speed. Haven't found any solution to this yet.

Did you ever resolve this? I have spent hours with a similar spec system, trying to get a TNT2PRO working without success. I have the same mobo. I tried 98. NT4, OS/2 and even W2k and all fail to boot or only basic VGA mode or similar error. I think I tried all the drivers ever made, 🤣. I know its not the card/drivers as I have another Win98 system and all is working fine. From what I can tell, it has something to do with the Acer PCI bus controller, probably not compatible with 3D accelerated cards (only 2D), even ones from around of the period. My old S3 64+ works fine on that TX531.

This is the only info I could find that points to PCI Bus issue (albeit under Linux): "DataExpert Corp. ExpertColor TX531 V1.0 motherboard with chipset ACER M1531 (Date: 9729, TS6) and ACER M1543 (Date: 9732 TS6) seems to present not reproducible segmentations faults, kernel oops and kernel hangs under heavy load and tape access. The problem seems to be the PCI-bus, respectively the ACER chipset."

P.S. I updated the bios to 1.03 on TX531 but it made no difference.

Reply 4 of 4, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philD wrote on 2020-12-27, 04:49:

Did you ever resolve this?...

No, I didn't. 🙁

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel