VOGONS

First post, by winuser_pl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, i just grabbed an Optimus computer from an early 90's era. It has some nice components like Trident TVGA 9000B graphics cards.
I see that this card is very slow, even BIOS pages are loading slow.
I'm wondering if it is so ridiculous slow even in text mode, does it make any sense to use it with Windows 95B with Pentium 100 or something like that?

Thanks.

PC1: Highscreen => FIC PA-2005, 64 MB EDO RAM, Pentium MMX 200, S3 Virge + Voodoo 2 8 MB
PC2: AOpen => GA-586SG, 512 MB SDRAM, AMD K6-2 400 MHz, Geforce 2 MX 400

Reply 2 of 8, by winuser_pl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heh, that was my first thought. And I did some calculations, it is able to work in 800x600 mode using 8 bit color. It has 512 KB of video memory 😁 It seems to be an ideal card to work with MS-DOS & text mode. 😊

PC1: Highscreen => FIC PA-2005, 64 MB EDO RAM, Pentium MMX 200, S3 Virge + Voodoo 2 8 MB

Reply 3 of 8, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check the jumpers. Trident cards have settings for 8/16 bit operation. In 8-bit, XT mode, it will work really slow. Otherwise it's still slow but manageable in some 286/386 machine.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 8, by winuser_pl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, I will check the jumpers.

This is 32 bit Pentium class machine. Socket 7. Now it has 75 MHz cpu, but I plan to put 133 MHz Pentium.
However after a short investigation it think the best choice is to put S3 graphics with 2 MB of video ram and install Windows 95 on it.

Reply 5 of 8, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The trident card will work OK in a 286 or lower end 386.

Will start being a major bottleneck on faster computers.

For a pentium, it is absolutely best to go with a PCI video card. ISA is a bad choice for video on these machines.

Reply 6 of 8, by winuser_pl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've checked and the card is set to operate using full 16 bit slot.
This computer is a strange frankenstein. It has A-TREND ATC-1545 motherboard which has integrated IDE controller but someone has put an extra IDE controller - Sun Moon Star SMS-31094. And also this TVGA 9000.
This seems to be some remnants from 286 computer.

EDIT: Now it's clear why it has this IDE controller. There is also Panasonic CD-R model CR-562-B which has some properietary interface. Seems to be an IDE but website states that it is not.

That's the model: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CD-ROM-Drive-CR-562- … n-/132429180703

Reply 7 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yepp, that seems like an early CD-ROM drive for the consumer market, before ATAPI became the norm.
Some drivers are available at http://ibm-pc.org/drivers/cdrom/PANASONI/panason.html

The three major proprietary pseudo standards of the time were Sony/Philips/Mitsumi, if memory serves.
They all used the common 40pin ribbon cable, as it was used in computing since the ~70s or so.

Some interface cards also allowed for DMA transfer. Our old LU005 single-speed drive came with such a card.
Depending on the driver, it could work in either mode. Some cheap sound card interfaces only did PIO, I believe.

Btw, don't throw away that Trident. It is slow, but perhaps is a supported SVGA chipset in one of your games.
Since the card is based on the 8900 series, or rather a crippled decendant of it, it maybe shares some VGA mode numbers of it.

Last but not least, it is also worth checking if there''s a mode utility. The 8900 series had one.
It could switch to CGA/EGA/Hercules emulation that's built into the silicon.

If you plan to play some older CGA games that aren't speed sensitive, then that's worth checking out.
That emulation mode supports some of the registers of a real CGA, thus can show its alternate palettes and other CRTC effects.

Modern PCI cards lost that ability, since they can only do show other CGA palettes if they are selected via PC BIOS.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 8, by winuser_pl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@up - thanks. This CD-ROM could have some serious value for most of retro fans (including me). I think 😀 The same is the controller.

I will put back the controller and the graphics card. They will work in my another retro build which will be AMD 5x86 based system probably or something even older like AMD 486 DX4.

I will buy another S3 graphics card and use it to make this system work with Windows 95. It will not be a gaming rig, rather retro development station.