VOGONS

First post, by Kizmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello again!

This time around i have another V5 5500 on the healing bench. The card belongs to a member of this forum.

Basic info:
- Non modified Rev 2500 V5 5500 AGP
- Suddenly stopped working, heavy artifacting during POST/boot and crashes in windows
- Judging from dust and fan motor wear the card has seen high number of hours

bios.jpg
Filename
bios.jpg
File size
300.41 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
win98.jpg
Filename
win98.jpg
File size
169.02 KiB
Views
File license
dust.jpg
Filename
dust.jpg
File size
288.29 KiB
Views
File license

First step of troubleshoothing is cleaning. The card was dirty and nothing beats ultrasonic bath and alcohol. Then I checked voltages. Every rail was present and at correct level and there was no excessive noise or ripple which may indicate failing capacitors or vrm.

I kind of hoped this would be memory related issue and worked on that first. I resoldered and later replaced primary VSA-100 memory chips with known good ones but nothing changed.

ram reflow.jpg
Filename
ram reflow.jpg
File size
272.25 KiB
Views
File license

Then I noticed this

heatsink.jpg
Filename
heatsink.jpg
File size
163.09 KiB
Views
File license

The primary VSA-100 heatsink is literally floating on huge blob of adhesive. Someone at 3DFX did not do very good job of pushing the heatsink nice and flat on the chip when adhesive was still soft. This leads me to believe that the GPU itself is toast and needs to be replaced.

Luckily i have 25 brand new chips so i will give it a go tomorrow. This kind of failure is not entirely unheard of, i have replaced several failed VSA-100 chips, one V5 5500 needed both chips replaced before 3D was stable.

3DFX - Gone but never forgotten

Reply 1 of 8, by Kizmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And the story continues.

First of, here is a safe way to remove Voodoo 4/5 heatsink. Something i totally failed 15 years ago with my own card 🤣

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bleOkwOxAyE

scraped-clean.jpg
Filename
scraped-clean.jpg
File size
339.81 KiB
Views
File license

After heatsink removal i scraped off the thermal adhesive which was super thick.

dirt.jpg
Filename
dirt.jpg
File size
221.99 KiB
Views
File license

There was strange dirt like substance under the GPU. This makes me believe it may have caused the problem and maybe the chip is still good. But PCB can take only limited number of reflow cycles before risk of damaging the PCB is too high so i went for new GPU instead of reflowing or reballing the old chip.

cleaned-fluxed-preheat.jpg
Filename
cleaned-fluxed-preheat.jpg
File size
318.48 KiB
Views
File license

Here the card is cleaned, ever so slightly fluxed and being preheated to +140 C. Foil is protecting heat sensitive things like capacitors and fan connector-

peak-temp.jpg
Filename
peak-temp.jpg
File size
189.96 KiB
Views
File license

As alarm screams we hit the specified peak temperature of this soldering alloy (+210...+220C). Next step is nice and slow cooldown which results finer grain structure in joint which translates into more reliable soldering result.

Fingers crossed, will it POST without artifacts? Yes it did! And it booted to win98 and drivers loaded correctly.

driver.jpg
Filename
driver.jpg
File size
210.11 KiB
Views
File license

The card has been looping 3dmark99max for few hours right now, completly glitch and crash free! Another one saved!

Reply 4 of 8, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice,
I have a couple V3 Evil Kings PCI I would like to replace the GPU's on.
Would these GPU's work for my Evil Kings ?

The VSA-100 is part Number 355-0026-220 3dfx
The Evil Kings have 3DFX GPU part number 355-0024-220 3dfx

Attachments

Reply 6 of 8, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
anthony wrote:

Its a bad idea to try to fit napalm chip on v3 card. Absolutely different footprints

Do you happen to know the models and numbers of the 3dfx GPU's on these Voodoo cards ?

Reply 7 of 8, by Kizmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
anthony wrote:

215c soldering temperature? Why? This is for unleaded soldering. 190 is more than enough for voodoos

I prefer to follow standard process for reflow. Specification calls for 210-220 C peak temp for leaded.

For unleaded it is 230-255C peak.

Reply 8 of 8, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@kizmo: I need friends like you 🤣

Awesome job!

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1