VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
auron wrote:

the platforming in these games is worse with keyboard&mouse though. these were really games designed around the n64 first and foremost. i'm not fond of how playing at high resolutions makes the low-res textures stand out either.

turok 1 doesn't even have a option to adjust its very narrow FOV so given how close one usually sits in front of a pc monitor compared to a tv, the game feels extremely twitchy on PC compared to games actually designed for PC. one can make a case for turok 2 on PC though because FOV can be adjusted and the framerate on n64 is pretty bad there.

Not sure how any of what you said make sense. I found it EASIER to do the platforming on PC because of the Keyboard and Mouse. One of my biggest gripes for the N64 control scheme was how moving forward while maintaining a focus on a target above you on a ledge was hard to do between the C-buttons and the analog stick, especially for looking down for platform jumping. I was able to do all of this much easier with my mouse and keyboard - probably because I didn't have to deal with look-spring and how precise the mouse is compared to trying to jump, turn, and curve in mid-air with the stick - you'd overcorrect and fall down pits.

And the FOV shouldn't even be an issue because the games are limited to a 4:3 aspect ratio, JUST like on the N64, so there's no difference. And while the framerates might not have been a perfect 30fps (I have the expansion pack installed), on my Windows 98 system, it's a liquid 60fps pretty much the entire time.

And complaining about seeing low-res textures, what the hell do you expect from games that were designed around 320x240 resolution? Like, literally, I don't get why this even gets mentioned. Know what game you're going to play and what to expect. It's like people who've never played the original Super Mario Bros. before and then when they do complain that the graphics suck because they're 8-bit and blocky and 2-dimensional. Like, Christ on a cracker, that's the point! The game was awesome when it was released. Stop making "graphics fidelity" a judging factor on your games and start paying attention to things that really matter, like gameplay, character development, storyline, plot. I mean, this whole forum is nothing but RETRO gaming. Compared to modern systems, THEY ALL LOOK LIKE DOO-DOO.

While we're at it, let's go ahead and talk about how crap QUAKE 1 looks, even on Voodoo cards. And they ESPECIALLY look bad in software rendering, yo! Who can play those games? What about DOOM? Look at all those blocky "textures" on the walls, or the low-detailed enemy sprites! It's ugly! It gets worse! Wolfenstein 3D! It's so basic! Doesn't even have floor or ceiling textures! What the hell! Those guys really need to try harder on their craft...

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 22 of 25, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FFXIhealer wrote:

Not sure how any of what you said make sense.

of course it wouldn't make sense to you if you even fail to understand that turok 1 was notorious for its low FOV, which wasn't amended in the PC version (that also came with jittery mouse input to boot). even the recent remaster has fisheye issues when bumping up the fov above stock.

Reply 23 of 25, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FFXIhealer wrote:
Nobody ever puts down some of the console-ports that were so much better on PC... […]
Show full quote

Nobody ever puts down some of the console-ports that were so much better on PC...

Turok
Turok 2
Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3D

Add those to your list. I thoroughly enjoyed playing both Turok games on my V2 setup - MUCH more fun using keyboard/mouse instead of the N64 controller. Don't get me wrong, I like the N64 controller. I just hate FPS on consoles... any console. I hated trying to play CoD4 on my PS3. Loved it on my PC.

Would love to try the Turok games on my V2 SLI setup but for some reason those games are hard to find or crazy expensive. Got the GOG version but those run on Win7/10 only.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 25 of 25, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lands of Lore 3
It was much more stable for me when I ran it using glide compared to D3D and it supports higher resolutions, so I think V2 SLI would be perfect to run it.