VOGONS

First post, by HenWen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

New to the forum. My first post here 😀

I'm planning a build of what would be the ultimate PC in 1995 (limiting myself to 1995 or earlier hardware, but going for the best). I plan to play games from as early as mid-80's (Sierra, Lucasarts) all the way through to 1995 (Full Throttle, Phantasmagoria). I don't plan to do any 3D gaming, more 2D and FMV/CD-ROM games at most. I may not bother with Windows and just do MS-DOS 6.22.

My question is this: given the above, what would be the best graphics card? So far, based on my research, it seems like an S3 968 may make the most sense, but wanted to get everyone's take on these other options:

S3 968 vs:

1) S3 Trio 64V+ or UV+
- Wasn't sure what the pros/cons of these cards are vs S3 968 given my gaming plans

2) Matrox Millennium (MGA-2064W)
- Seems like it had some compatibility issues...

3) Number Nine Imagine 128
- I was only considering more as a lark because the 8MB version was the ultimate graphics card in '95 @ $2000 USD...but seems like DOS was an afterthought on it...

Definitely open to other recommendations and thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 6, by TheMLGladiator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had very good experiences with the S3 Trio lineup. They seem to be able to provide a very clear and sharp image (that even rivals more modern cards in some ways). Since you are looking for 1995 and earlier, I would also recommend the S3 ViRGE cards. While their 3D capabilities are not that great, their 2D is as good as, or even better than, the Trio64 cards. I've also come across a lot more ViRGE cards than Trio64's, so i don't feel finding one should not be much of an issue.

Either way, drivers for both can be found here: https://web.archive.org/web/20170927051458/ht … re_archive.aspx

Reply 2 of 6, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1995 2D and FMV/CD-ROM games in pure MS-DOS 6.22

So Pentium ~120MHz. Anything will do, speed differences in 2D are minimal, good brand (Diamond etc) S3, Matrox or ATI will work just fine.

TheMLGladiator wrote:

I've had very good experiences with the S3 Trio lineup. They seem to be able to provide a very clear and sharp image (that even rivals more modern cards in some ways).

S3 didnt make cards, one hung low ROC(Taiwan)/HK/Malaysia/Philippines manufacturers did, and they didnt really care one bit about quality, they cared about precious 0.1 cents saved by omitting filter elements and bypass caps. Picture quality is a crapshoot between off brands.

TheMLGladiator wrote:

I would also recommend the S3 ViRGE cards. While their 3D capabilities are not that great, their 2D is as good as, or even better than, the Trio64 cards.

both use same 2d core, Virge 3D decellerator core is pointless unless you are a fan of 15fps gaming.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 3 of 6, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The cool thing about MS-DOS is it's nothing to swap graphics cards to benchmark. No driver hell. You can check the link in my signature where I tested many PCI cards in DOS. I agree that the performance differences aren't that great (usually) so go for compatibility. As you can see in my benchmarks, the ARK2000 was probably the fastest DOS card in 1995, but not as compatible as S3. I never liked the Millennium for DOS. Too many quirks.

FWIW, I owned a 968 back in the day, and it wasn't as fast in DOS as the DRAM-based S3's, but it had better Windows GUI acceleration. If you're sticking to a pure DOS system, you're batter off with other S3 options like the Trio64V+.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 6, by HenWen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks all for these replies!

Thanks @TheMLGladiator for the drivers link. Thanks rasz_pl for thoughts - I plan to get a Diamond branded S3 Trio64V+.

@clueless1: really appreciate the callout on 968 vs Trio64V+, it's exactly the decision I was puzzling over. 😎

Will let you guys know how the build turns out.