VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, I recently obtained a Packard Bell PB5310 that seems to be completely stock (original Win95a install, all PB software, Aztech sound card, etc.) and I've been fixing it up so my wife and daughter can play with it. My wife's first PC as a kid was identical to this one and I happen to have a lot of the software that was used on these machines too.

Our main interest at this time is using Spiderman Cartoon Maker, since it came with PBs from this era (it looks like a Windows 3.1 program) and my wife had very fond memories of playing with it. I must say, this is one of the most interesting and hilarious pieces of old software I've seen. Definitely check it out if you like to tinker with silly old software. It's like if you put Mario Paint on the PC and added pre-animated spiderman characters, sprites, sound effects, music (either GM or FM!) and the ability to record narration via a microphone. Neat! 😀

Long story short... when playing with it, I noticed that the animation and sound playback would slow down noticeably when animating characters that were blown up to their largest size (you can resize them). I looked up some benchmarks and saw that the PB's built in CL-GD5430 is okay but not real great compared to other cards of that time. I was curious to see if the problem was VGA related, so I dropped in a Matrox Millennium II 4MB and it actually fixed it! The strange thing is, the animation doesn't look any smoother, it's just that the audio no longer slows down with it. I'm certainly not surprised that a Millennium II is faster in Windows than a low end integrated Cirrus Logic chip, I'm just amazed that the video chip is the bottleneck in this situation on a 75Mhz Pentium! Prior to this, I'd always assumed that any decent PCI VGA chip would be fast enough not to bottleneck a CPU this slow. Most VGA benchmarks are run on massively overpowered CPUs which inflate the numbers a bit.

Can anyone explain what I'm seeing here? There is no visual increase in performance, but there seem to be more resources available for audio processing. Why wouldn't this also make the visuals smoother?

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 5, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd probably try a slower PCI card just to make sure that the benefit you're seeing comes from increased Matrox performance and not some bus issues. I mean, what if Packard Bell actually used VLB for Cirrus Logic?

Ideally you should try a standalone Cirrus Logic card or something really slow like early Trident or pre-Trio S3 cards.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 2 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VLB is unlikely, that's probably a PB640 motherboard with i430FX chipset. ISA is possible though...

Are the CL drivers installed properly? If it's running in unaccelerated SVGA that could explain a lot.

Reply 4 of 5, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was getting some color corruption when switching between fullscreen applications with the Matrox so I just tried a CL GD5446 (STB Horizon) and it also has no slow down issues where the GD5430 had them. The integrated GD5430 and the PCI GD5446 were both running with the drivers that Windows 95 installed for them automatically (not generic VGA drivers). Also, the integrated video is definitely PCI.

I may have a GD5430 PCI laying around here I could try too, just out of curiosity.

Reply 5 of 5, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, this just got weirder. I just tried a GD5430 PCI (STB Horizon+) and I also noticed no audio slow downs. I took it back out and just used the built in GD5430... and I'm not noticing slow downs now!

I'm really puzzled by this, because it was very noticeable before. The only other significant change that has been made is that I removed the extra 1MB of video RAM I'd added to the motherboard yesterday, since I was intending to use a PCI card. The RAM I added was rated 10ns faster than the stuff the board came with so it shouldn't have been an issue, though it was a different brand. Has anyone ever experienced a reduction in performance when adding more video memory?

Anyway, I'll probably just use the integrated video for now. If I notice other slow downs I'll try a different card.