VOGONS

First post, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure if it was always like this or not - can't remember from the last time I ran this machine.

I noticed when I was testing UT99 in SLI mode. I set the resolution to 1024x768 initially and noticed how horrible the game looked. On closer inspection it seems there are 2 issues:

1) The colour depth seems to have dropped off a cliff (8 bit or less?). There is severe colour banding even on the UT desktop/menu screen and in game as well (is the menu rendered as a 3D component?). When I switch back to 800x600, the colour is nice and even again and believably 16 bit.

2) There are some sort of lines that make the scene look like it's being viewed through shutters. The spacing isn't that bad but it's noticeable. It's definitely worse than in 800x600 so it's not what I would consider "normal SLI scanlines" or any such phenomenon. These lines are more exaggerated.

Combined, switching to 1024 makes for a muddy, grainy, dim looking scene that is far uglier than 800x600.

After checking with other games, it seems all are affected equally so it must be a card thing. Might there be a setting I could change to fix this? I'm hoping it's not hardware. After all, the lower resolutions look just fine.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 1 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1) Voodoo2 disables dithering for 1024x768. There's never dac filtering for this mode either (especially with SLI as that should disable it altogether). The same applies to single V2s running a z-less 1024x768 allowed by certain games.

2) Yep, scanline artifacts are a given wiht how SLI works. This is normal.

Voodoo3 doesn't have either of these issues at 1024x768 and higher 😉

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 19, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh... well then.

I don't suppose there's a way to at least cheat the colours back to looking ok, is there?

I heard FastVoodoo drivers support anti-aliasing. If I have to stay with 800x600 maybe I could just enable this to improve visual quality a bit. How do you enable AA? I didn't see it in the control panel.

Reply 4 of 19, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't remember any color issues when using V2 SLI at 1024x768. Could it be perhaps related to "SSTV2_VIDEO_24BPP" settings? It works when running 800x600 or less, however not at 1024x768, not without some glitches at least. Some info can be found here https://translate.google.cz/translate?sl=cs&t … f%3D4%26t%3D535

As far as anti-aliasing is concerned, I don't think it ever worked on V2.... except Quantum 3D Mercury, but this is not the case here. 😈

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 6 of 19, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

"24BPP" is a filter toggle as far as I can tell.

The only antialiasing you generally ever see is the edge AA on the 3dfx splash logo.

We had the explanation in this thread:

(dither) 3dfx Voodoo image quality
(24bpp) Re: 3dfx Voodoo image quality

Also check my VGA grab images in first post for comparison (I repaired the links, nothing was lost).

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 7 of 19, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elianda wrote:
We had the explanation in this thread: […]
Show full quote
leileilol wrote:

"24BPP" is a filter toggle as far as I can tell.

The only antialiasing you generally ever see is the edge AA on the 3dfx splash logo.

We had the explanation in this thread:

(dither) 3dfx Voodoo image quality
(24bpp) Re: 3dfx Voodoo image quality

Also check my VGA grab images in first post for comparison (I repaired the links, nothing was lost).

Thanks for the links. Actually the pictures in that thread are helpful because my UT menu screen looks WAY worse than that. I mean the colour banding is very bad compared to that.

Attachments

• 1024b.jpg
    Filename
    1024b.jpg
    File size
    612.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 1024.jpg
    Filename
    1024.jpg
    File size
    954.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 800b.jpg
    Filename
    800b.jpg
    File size
    561.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 800.jpg
    Filename
    800.jpg
    File size
    765.82 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 8 of 19, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's gamma correction bug. Try to set all three gamma sliders to 1.0 intead of default 1.3. This should help.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 9 of 19, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

That's gamma correction bug. Try to set all three gamma sliders to 1.0 intead of default 1.3. This should help.

Unfortunately, that didn't change anything except reducing brightness as expected.

The fact that it looks just fine in 800 makes me think that this is just some environment variable getting flipped off at 1024. I just can't figure out why it would happen to me but not everybody else. I'm using FastVoodoo 4.6 with mismatched V2 cards.

Reply 10 of 19, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can I get the same effect that 800x600 has by changing one of the environmental variables in the registry?

Is it SSTV2_VIDEO_FILTER_DISABLE that needs to be set to 0 or is a different one toggled in 1024 mode?

Reply 11 of 19, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

1) Voodoo2 disables dithering for 1024x768. There's never dac filtering for this mode either (especially with SLI as that should disable it altogether). The same applies to single V2s running a z-less 1024x768 allowed by certain games.

Reply 12 of 19, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

...and yet I fixed the problem by my last post 🤣.

Setting SSTV2_VIDEO_FILTER_DISABLE to 0 was what did it. 1024 must have been toggling it on so by turning it off all the colour banding goes away and it looks good again. I also tried AA, which didn't hurt anything and 24BPP caused artifacts as warned above.

To make these changes you have to go into the windows registry under local machine > Software > 3dfx interactive > Glide and add the above environment variable. Since the variable won't exist at that point, it means the card can change the setting itself, which it seems inclined to do when you go from 800 to 1024. Adding this variable prevents that by permanently disabling it.

Reply 14 of 19, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

The question is why did they disable it?

Good question. Because based on the other screenshots I see around the net, other users don't have this problem so at least with the drivers they're using, it probably isn't disabled. FastVoodoo does do some unique things though, in order to get mismatched cards to work. Maybe it was a compatibility thing.

Reply 15 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In 3dfx's Glide sources, the filtering is forced off in SLI due to timing issues in between the two cards. I'm guessing FastVoodoo overrides their sanity checks in the name of "Fast", which wouldn't surprise me at all...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 17 of 19, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You mean as each card for itself renders 1024x384 the dithering is applied on each card on the 1024x384 image before it is interleaved?
or
If VSync is off then it filters between two sub images that are not from the same frame?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 18 of 19, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elianda wrote:

You mean as each card for itself renders 1024x384 the dithering is applied on each card on the 1024x384 image before it is interleaved?
or
If VSync is off then it filters between two sub images that are not from the same frame?

Both of those 😀

I think that having no dithering at all would still be the least desirable though.

Reply 19 of 19, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

In 3dfx's Glide sources, the filtering is forced off in SLI due to timing issues in between the two cards. I'm guessing FastVoodoo overrides their sanity checks in the name of "Fast", which wouldn't surprise me at all...

But the filtering "was" off and I enabled it. It's the screenshots I've seen of other peoples' normal SLI setups where the graphics quality was actually good, suggesting they had something enabled that I did not. Do you instead mean that FastVoodoo gets their speed from NOT filtering 1024, whereas normal drivers do, because that would better explain why FastVoodoo is fast and looks like crap and why it looked better after I re-enabled filtering.