VOGONS

First post, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I installed a Dell-version GeForce 6800 into a Lenovo desktop computer's PCI-E slot, and upon installing the drivers (81.98 forceware - official drivers from NVIDIA), it no longer shuts down properly. When I choose shut down from the start menu, one of three things will randomly happen:

1 - it crashes and reboots (I know it crashes because it then runs ScanDisk)
2 - it goes to a screen that says "It is Now Safe to turn off your computer"
3 - it goes to a screen that says "Press any key to continue..." and some time after pressing a key (probably 20 seconds or so) it does #2 above.

I've tried disabling all NVidia-related stuff in the MSCONFIG from running on start up but still the problem exists.

Interestingly enough, the RESTART option works fine - it will go to the "Windows is shutting down" screen and then re-boot.

Any suggestions or ideas? My searching hasn't found anybody else with this particular problem. Note that shutdown worked fine when I had an ATI graphics card installed.

Reply 1 of 1, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any suggestions or ideas? My searching hasn't found anybody else with this particular problem

It's strange that you have not found relevant search results. This is a rather widespread problem. There are many topics even here at Vogons related to this issue:
Windows 98 SE Shutdown Issue With The Last NVidia Driver
[SOLVED] GeForce 6800GS AGP & "Windows Protection Error" on Win98 shutdown

The point is you should not use the latest Nvidia drivers (use e.g. 7x series instead, 77.72 is a good candidate) or you can try to patch your current driver.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper