Miro S3 Trio32 VLB opinions

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote:

I'm using a MAX10 FPGA, anything is possible pretty much but for starters it'll only do MDA/CGA/EGA/VGA + VESA, enough for DOS stuff. Eventually I'll learn Windows driver making and then I can add 2D acceleration and maybe even dabble with 3D acceleration. It is supposed to become the fastest and most compatible video card there is for the old machines, with 15KHz output for connection to a random TV (RGB, S-video and composhit) and VGA+DVI output capable of at least showing 1920x1080 so that it can bypass potentially shitty scaling of some monitor. The card is both ISA and VLB, it can be used in 16bit ISA alone aswell. Video BIOS will be the hardest part for me, for the time being there's nothing more than incomplete PCB design. Eventually when there's more money and some other things are out the way I will continue working on this thing.

I have been waiting for something like this to exist!
Playing cga/ega/vga games on a nice 15k monitor like a 1084 is a dream for me 😎
Personally I wouldn't really bother with windows gui acceleration or 3d - that card looks to me as the perfect 2d gaming one - eagerly awaiting more news on this!!!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 21 of 26, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote:
I have started a VLB IO and video card project. http://www.tmeeco.eu/TKAVIVC/T-01VIVC-A.png […]
Show full quote

I have started a VLB IO and video card project.
T-01VIVC-A.png

Ah very cool. Has there ever been a combo VLB I/O Videocard before? I’d be concerned it would be a bottleneck if both devices were used simultaneously, although heavy I/O and dos gaming aren’t a typical scenario.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 22 of 26, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There were one slot VGA + HD + I/O cards back in the day.

Western%2520Digital%2520ASI%2520Rocket%2520%25281994%2529%2520%2528VLB%2529.jpg
Filename
Western%2520Digital%2520ASI%2520Rocket%2520%25281994%2529%2520%2528VLB%2529.jpg
File size
391.79 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 23 of 26, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

I have been waiting for something like this to exist!
Playing cga/ega/vga games on a nice 15k monitor like a 1084 is a dream for me 😎
Personally I wouldn't really bother with windows gui acceleration or 3d - that card looks to me as the perfect 2d gaming one - eagerly awaiting more news on this!!!

2D acceleration is important to me, Windows will work way nicer then. 3D is more or less playground to bigger things 🤣
In any case there's not gonna be happening on this front for a while, I don't have the money or time right now...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 24 of 26, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
canthearu wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

For example: ET6000, CL-GD 5436 (maybe 5446), ARK2000, Trident 9680 and s3 Virge.

Can you get those in any kind of quantity anymore. It looks like the board design is for some kind of FPGA module that could emulate a VGA chip and maybe some highly compatible blitter.

It's worth looking into. The Tridents, CL and s3 chips are the most likely to still be around in quantity.
I'm curious when the VLB support was dropped from the ViRGE chips. I am fairly certain the original ViRGE has it.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 25 of 26, by RonySol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gered wrote on 2019-04-27, 16:43:

I have one of these cards in my 486 PC (see link in my signature). It's a great card, I quite like it. I also picked mine up on eBay a couple years ago for a similar price. I remember being shocked when I saw it and bought it without hesitation, 🤣.

Hello Gered, Have you ever managed to upgrade the vesa bios from 1.2 to 2.0 for use with games that require that bios version ?

Reply 26 of 26, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2019-05-01, 00:28:
canthearu wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

For example: ET6000, CL-GD 5436 (maybe 5446), ARK2000, Trident 9680 and s3 Virge.

Can you get those in any kind of quantity anymore. It looks like the board design is for some kind of FPGA module that could emulate a VGA chip and maybe some highly compatible blitter.

It's worth looking into. The Tridents, CL and s3 chips are the most likely to still be around in quantity.
I'm curious when the VLB support was dropped from the ViRGE chips. I am fairly certain the original ViRGE has it.

The Virge has it, the Virge/DX doesn't have it. VLB is already feature-reduced on the Virge (only half the RAM is supported) due to the amount of pins the non-multiplexed address/data bus of VL needs. IIRC the Virge is limited to 2MB of RAM in VL mode, while it can handle 4MB in PCI mode. I don't think a 2MB Virge/DX card would have sold that well, so it made sense they dropped VL at that point. There is a thread about a home-brew Virge VLB video card project here on vogons.