VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would like to here of some recommendations for the best choice video card for an AMD 5x86-133-P75 overclocked to 160mhz. Currently I am using the Number9 video card with S3 vision 968 chip but if I can use something better what can it be ?

Motherboard - PCChips 918i socket-3 with ALI chipset
I have 3 PCI slots and 4 ISA slots.
300watt PSU.
64mb. EDO Ram 60ns
256kb motherboard cache
Win98b.
CF card 8gb Sandisk extreme.

PCI Cards I have available:
S3
Trident
Matrox Millennium
Matrox G100
Riva TNT
Voodoo-3 3000
ATI Rage 128
ATI
Diamond
Nvidia
Number9

Attachments

Reply 2 of 11, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
STX wrote:

Having too many good options is a good problem to have. Personally, I'd try the Voodoo3 if I were you.

Yeah, but is there any advantage to having a Voodoo-3 PCI on a 5x86 CPU ?
Are the Voodoo drivers supported on a 5x86 ?

Reply 3 of 11, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Voodoo3 offers a combination of very good game compatibility and very good image quality.

According to the Voodoo3 2000 & 3000 FAQs, a Voodoo3 PCI requires at least a Pentium 90. The performance of your overclocked Am5x86 is roughly equal to that of a Pentium 90, so you'd be OK speed-wise. However, the Am5x86 only implements one of the instructions that were introduced with the Pentium architecture, CPUID, so the Am5x86's older instruction set might be a problem. The Am5x86 is not supported specifically, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work. If I were you, I'd just back up my hard drive, install the Voodoo3 and see if it works. I'd choose V1.01.02 drivers because they're the last drivers with "Intel, AMD, Cyrix, or compatible processor" as requirements; later drivers' requirements list specific CPUs, and the Am5x86 isn't one of them.

Reply 4 of 11, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would stay with the S3 Vision968. It has very good VESA support and mode compatibility.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 5 of 11, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i would opt for the Matrox Card.

Or a Riva128 which is very good for 2D VESA compatiblity.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 6 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Problem is even a 5x86 struggles at 3D so really you'll be focusing on 2D

You could try out some of those early 3d API's that didn't kick off
3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)

S3 Virge S3D is the most interesting as it has the most games, I have this in my 5x86, the games run but struggle a bit.

Reply 8 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

S3 gets my vote too, you need a compatible and fast 2d vga - 3d is wasted on such machine

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 11, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im using a Matrox Mystique 4mb in my overclocked 5x86-160 machine, using the LCD monitor the image is great! Most S3 Virge cards display too bright for some reason but the S3 TRIO I have lying around has no problems.

Ive fiddled with 3D cards on the 486 systems but its not really worth it, I personally think keep it somewhat period correct and go for a 2D card.