VOGONS

First post, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a quick and easy solution to replacing the fans on any 3DFX card which has one.

As a replacement fan I found that a Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX is an ideal replacement fan that runs off 12v with 3 pin molex connectors that are easily adapted to a 12v 4 pin molex. They are the right size, have good airflow and are quiet.

You'll need some slightly longer replacement screws to mount them on the heat sinks the same as the originals. I found that a #5-40 x 1/2" machine screw was a perfect fit. The thread doesn't matter as much as the correct diameter and length. I could only find flat head ones rather than phillips head or hex, but that hardly matters.

Pic of Voodoo 5500 with replaced fans.

ZiuCJvf.jpg

Reply 1 of 2, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And should you prefer to use the onboard power, Noctua makes 2 5v fans that should work just fine.
NF-A4x20 5V
NF-A4x10 5V

A4x20 is as the name suggests 20 mm thick, but pushes more air and manages higher static pressure while also making less noise.
A4x10 is identical to the above mentioned fan, but runs on 5v ofc.

Rob the original fans from their fan connectors and it will look really good.
Did this on my very noisy G400MAX.

Also Matrox cards uses the same annoying 5v fan setup.
So the same applies to them =)

Reply 2 of 2, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have bought the A4x20's too, but the wires are not the same colors as the originals and I have no tiny molex pins or tool so that was just too much work for me, the 12V solution is also a bit more future proof, so I chose that option.