VOGONS

First post, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was experimenting today with a FireGL V7100 on a Windows 98/XP hybrid rig. Per Wikipedia, this card basically has a Radeon x800 XT at its core. But there were never drivers released for the FireGL cards for Windows 98.

So I tried installing it as an x800 card by modifying the inf files from the x800 drivers to swap out hardware ID's. That actually worked great and everything seemed to install properly, just as an x800 XT card instead of a FireGL card. I tested a few games and they played fine. But then on Passmark's Performance test (v6), the fullscreen complex 3D test was pitifully slow - around 17 FPS, yet every single other graphics test (all 2d tests and the other 3D tests) were right in line with an actual x800 card I had previously tested. On the XP side of this computer (which I installed actual FireGL drivers for), the fullscreen 3D test was around 50fps which is much closer to what I was expecting. I tried tweaking the 3d settings in the ATI control panel but with no luck.

Any ideas on how (or even if) this could be fixed? I haven't tried any other benchmarks so it could just be something stupid with Passmark specifically, but I was just wondering if anybody else out there has any experience using a FireGL card as an x700 or x800 on a Windows 98 rig. I'd love to get this card fully working properly as it actually marginally outperforms nVidia's GeForce 6800 in all other tests.

Reply 1 of 6, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For anyone curious, I did some other benchmarking with this card on both Windows 98 (with modified x800 drivers) and on XP (with the native v7100 drivers). I used 3dMark03 for my testing and ended up with the following results (compared to a GeForce 6800 card and an ATI x800 GTO card, also noting that this is running on a rather modern system) :

Overall Score (Windows 98) :
11,529 - ATI v7100
9,387 - ATI x800 GTO
9,288 - GeForce 6800

Overall Score (Windows XP) :
13,911 - ATI v7100
11,454 - ATI x800 GTO
9,705 - GeForce 6800

The v7100 was the winner in virtually every single sub-score with the only exception being one of the CPU tests under Windows 98 (which scored terribly low in the single digits - not sure why, but so did the x800). One test where the v7100 blew the other two cards out of the water was the multi-texture fill-rate which scored as follows:
6412 (6412 Windows XP) - ATI v7100
4454 (4456 Windows XP) - ATI x800 GTO
3749 (3770 Windows XP) - nVidia 6800

The v7100 appears to be a pretty fast, viable card for Windows 98. It also perfectly runs Midtown Madness 1 which had all kinds of graphical glitches on the GeForce 6800 as well as Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six - Rogue Spear (which constantly crashed on the 6800 under Win98 and flickered and jumped around like crazy on XP).

Reply 2 of 6, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Apologies for the thread necro but I just bought one of these cards as a backup for my X850PRO, and I was wondering if anyone could point me to the modified X800 drivers that work with it?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 6, by xtreger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2021-02-09, 07:53:

Apologies for the thread necro but I just bought one of these cards as a backup for my X850PRO, and I was wondering if anyone could point me to the modified X800 drivers that work with it?

I also apologize for posting in an old thread, but were you able to figure out how to mod drivers for Firegl V7100 so that it becomes a X800 XT? I have the V7100 and would very much like to make it work in Win 98

Reply 4 of 6, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not that I have experience with this particular card, but modding a driver as described here consists of editing the .inf file in the driver package to add the hardware ID of the new card.

Basically:
- Decompress the driver in a directory (that's what it does automatically when you launch the installer). Kill the installer at this point to only keep the files
- Edit the .inf file, (usually in c:\AMD) and you will see that there are lots of lines with hardware IDs, this is how Windows "knows" that your card should be supported by this driver
- In your Device Manager, get the Device IDs corresponding to your card, it's somewhere in the advanced or details tab
- Add your ID to the .inf file
- From the Device Manager, manually install the modified driver

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 5 of 6, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xtreger wrote on 2024-01-14, 09:27:

I also apologize for posting in an old thread, but were you able to figure out how to mod drivers for Firegl V7100 so that it becomes a X800 XT? I have the V7100 and would very much like to make it work in Win 98

I actually got sent the relevant inf files by someine IIRC, I'll have to check if I still have them.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6 of 6, by xtreger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2024-01-15, 07:14:
xtreger wrote on 2024-01-14, 09:27:

I actually got sent the relevant inf files by someine IIRC, I'll have to check if I still have them.

I'd be really grateful if you could share them with me! Also in case you did any benchmarking with it in Win98, do you remember any of the scores? (e.g. 3dmark 2001)