VOGONS

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I have an IBM Aptiva 2176 which I currently have Windows 98se installed on. I wanted to install a Rendition Verite card in one of the two PCI slots to replace the built-in ATI Rage graphics but no luck. When the card is installed in the lower PCI slot I get a green light on my monitor but the screen stays black, no beeps. When I install the card in the upper PCI slot I get the IBM POST image and a ram count though there are two little glitch lines that appear, always in the same spot. when It goes to boot Windows after the ram count I just get a white screen with black lines. At first I figured the Rendition Verite card had bad ram or something but when I installed it in a socket 423 P4 board I have it worked flawlessly. I also removed all other cards from the Aptive except the video card. Also tried installing an ATI Mach64 PCI card in the same PCI slot and it worked fine.

I've tried updating the Aptiva to the latest BIOS version as well as disabling bus mastering for the PCI slots and disabling caching the video memory but I get the same result. also tried cleaning the connectors, no effect.

At this point I think I'm just curious why the Aptiva would have this kind of compatibility issue with the Verite card.

Reply 2 of 4, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

I found an old Usenet post mentioning VGA palette snooping and video shadow/cache options as potential problems.

Unfortunately disabling the video shadow/cache did nothing and the BIOS seems to lack an option for disabling VGA palette snooping 🙁

Reply 3 of 4, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is this a V1000? I've actually had freezing problems with the V1000E Screamin' 3D card even on a 440BX motherboard. I think they are somewhat broken chips with unpredictable stability issues. There was a little Rendition review recently with some comments from Walt Donovan (one of the Rendition engineers) that basically said as much.

Reply 4 of 4, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Is this a V1000? I've actually had freezing problems with the V1000E Screamin' 3D card even on a 440BX motherboard. I think they are somewhat broken chips with unpredictable stability issues. There was a little Rendition review recently with some comments from Walt Donovan (one of the Rendition engineers) that basically said as much.

Na, Its just a Stealth II S220 V2100