First post, by ruthan
i dont want to discuss here how pointless it is, one of best threads here is world fastest 486 threadand this is similar sub-topic.
- So main question is what fastest videocards are usable with SS7 machine.. and if on paper some faster options are really working, which are results and if there are some compatibility issues with this combination in comparision to use of these cards in some more modern platforms.
- If im not wrong most super socket MBs if not all would have option so select if primary graphics card would be in AGP or PCI slot, so we can have 2 cards, depends on OS and we can have even some dedicated without card for WinXP or Linux (yes, i now that this platform is deprecated from modern kernel).
- As far is i know, all these MBs have AGP 3.3 slot, but majority of videcards where universal for 1.5/3.3 V or even for 0.8 V.
- I would be also interesting, if there is how big is benefit of AGP over PCI with these CPUs.
- Im mainly interested in K6-2(+) / K6-3(+) 500 MHz+ results, but i dont mind some Cyrix, Pentium MMX results.
- I tried Geforce 7 cards with other platform with Win98 drivers, i even paid for rLoews patch, but from my experience there are bad for it.
- I somewhere read that at least Geforce FX(5) are still working with 3.3 MBs.
Videocards which it would be nice to test:
- Voodoo 3 - baseline Phi tested it
- Radeon 9xxx, Phil tested only 9200
- Voodoo 4/5 - Phil tested it, Vooodoo 4=3 3500, Voodoo 5 is faster with higher resolution, but was exluded from all cards comparision..
- Geforce 2/3/4/5/6/7 - Phil tested only Geforce 1 and 3 200 TI and 4 4200, but excluded them from all card comparision.. and G5 5500 PCI - without comparision with other cards results 🙁
- ATI X800/x850 - if there is AGP 3.3 variants
- Matrox G400 / G400 Max - Phil tested it, there are slow
- Kyro I / II - Phil tested it, there are slow
- ATI x1600-x1950 - - if there is AGP 3.3 variants
- AMD Radeon HD 2400 / 2600 /3650 / 3850 they have AGP variants, but i doubt that they would be compatible, but you never know.
Ultimate 6x86 Vogons thread results Quake 2 SW, Quake 2 OpenGL with Matrox G200:
download/file.php?id=11659 // There is also Early PII/III and Athlons comparison.
Still open questions:
- Radeon R3xx - 9500-9800 XT Windows 98 SS7 performance.
- Nvidia G6/7 Win 98 performance.
- Windows 2000 / XP later Nvidia / ATI cards performance, would it be better than in Win98? Would here faster card make sense?
- ALI and VIA chipsets performance difference? At least regarding 1 of Phils video there is quite big Windows 98 performance difference between 2 SS7 MBs with different chipsets.. and DOS performance difference is significant too.
Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.