Geforce 4 4600 TI
If dont overlook and overheard something there is info which CPU was used, so this video can us tell only, that with some probably fast not SS7 cpu, it could be quite fast in Win98. I checked even comments..
Radeon 9700 PRO AGP
Once agains benchmark without test setup info.. big flaw. From Phils first slide its +76% faster (i even used Excel for it) than Geforce 4 TI 4600 in same machine, but its XP test and quite sure its with faster than SS7 CPU.
Nvidia drivers version influence in Windows 98:
Tested with 1 GHz PIII, so its hard to say with it measn for SS7, but..
- TNT2 - 3% decrease up to driver 61.76, so its virtually nothing, because some bugfixes degraded performance.
- Geforce 256(=1) /G2 - there is huge gradual performance decrease - from 95 to 52 FPS in 71.XX driver.
- Geforce 4 - there not results for 7x and 8x driver, but between 28x32 and 61.76 si decrease few percent, and
its 30% difference between G4 and older cards with 61.76 driver.
- Geforce 5800 / 5950 there is decrease i would say 15% with 71.xx driver, but in 81.98 its back and otherwise difference is < 10%, so no big deal.
- TN2 is the same
- Geforce 1 /2 - its very similar again huge decrease.
- Geforce 4 - now there is big difference from 77 fps to 50 Fps.
- Geforce 5/5 - except bad 71.xx thre is i would say 5% difference.
Expendable(Direct3D-1600x1200x32) // Very similar to 1024x768.
Drakan 640x480x16 / 1024x768x32- very similar to Expendable 1024x768
Drakan 1600x1200 - simlar to Expendable 640x480
Unreal Tournament - 640x480x16 - there are same gaps for all cards except bat GF4 performance with 56.64.. its
gradual, but from oldest, fastest to newest its 15%.
Unreal Tournament - 1024x768- TN2 is slightly gradually faster, other otherwise its similar to 640x480 but over difference is even smaller - 10%.
Quake 2 640x480x16 (OpenGL) - there not big difference -/+ 10, for Geforce 4 and FX even less.
Quake 2 1024x768x32 (OpenGL) - +/- 15% - best driver is 30.82,, for Geforce 4 and FX even less.
Quake 2 1600x1200x32 (OpenGL) - +/- 15% - best driver is 30.82,, for Geforce 4 and FX minimal gap.
Quake 3 640x480x16 (OpenGL) - except TNT2 where is 10% last its in few percent +/- here we can see for which game where drivers probably optimized, or great IDsoft code, i dunno, , except early 6.31 and older drivers.
Quake 3 1024x768x32 +/- few percents, except early 6.31 and older drivers.
Quake 3 1600x1200x32 - +/- few percents, except early 8.05 and older drivers.
MDK2 (Direct3D) 640x480x16 - there is 15 decrease from 45.23 driver to newest, there is small gain from 56.64 for G4/ FX.
MDK2 1024x768x32- except 6.31 drivers and earlier, there is max 10% difference, less with G4/G5.
MDK2 1600x1200x32 - - except 8.05 drivers and earlier, there is max 10% difference, less with G4/G5.
Serious Sam - 640x480 - decrease for TNT2, other cards are ok.
Serious Sam - 1024x768 - decrease for TNT2, other cards are ok in +-5%
Serious Sam - 1600x1200 - +- 15%, except 81.92 there where FX 5800 an Geforce 4 are 25% slower, G 5900 is only few
Overall Nvidia cards performance:
- This video shows that newer Geforce cards sucks even with much faster 1 GHz PIII with Win98, so its not primary problem of slow SS7 cpu.
- This also first and so far best of show, how bad performance of G4 and G5 cards are in Windows 98, regardless of drivers, because their performance is not degrade too much with drivers as for other cards.
- Even these much faster cards, are often slower or at same level as much older cards.
- There's some Direct3D games where are Geforce 5 cards in 1/3 slower than older cards, in OpenGL games are usually slightly slower, but rarely faster, some Direct 3D games is diffence smaller 15%, not 30%.
Between Geforce 5 and 6 is quite big difference in raw power, so that still could be fast, but after this analysis i believe in it a bit less, but its about measurement not believe.. Nothing is changing for Radeon 9700, as shows XP video it has lots of horse power, now we need to see, how bad are Windows 98 drivers and how much is limited by CPU.
Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.