VOGONS

First post, by NuuttiS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Any idea what might cause the image look like this? It's connected to S3 Trio64 and no problems with other CRT.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 10, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool looking effect, I don't remember seeing anything like that before. Looks like RED and GREEN are maxed out in brightness, which probably means that video amp chip on neckboard or some related component had died, its so bright, that even retrace lines can be seen. Don't keep CRT powered on like that, reduce brightness if possible. Is that the best picture you can get, what action caused it?

Reply 2 of 10, by Nuutti_S

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I adjust the horizontal position, the bright part goes to the side and text appears more clearly as blue.

Don't know what caused it. I bought it used. Seller said that it was working on his Amiga, mut I'm not aware how long ago. He agreed to refund but I'd like to find out first if it could be repaired.

I also tried to hook it into a X-Ray machine at work and it looks the same.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 10, by Nuutti_S

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it normal that the lines are a bit exposed in the connector? Could some of them be touching eachother?

Attachments

Reply 4 of 10, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The grey wires are probably all ground (not a problem) if that's what you mean.
So much energy going to one side of the screen, maybe the tube is out of position.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 5 of 10, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know too much about how CRTs work, but I've seen bad ICs cause weird stuff like this before. Was the monitor shipped to you? The neck board (or a similar component) could be loose.

(Edit: You'll likely hear this a lot, but never attempt to open a CRT-based display if you do not know what you are doing.)

Ultrax
__
Presario 425|DX2-50|8MB|SB V16S|D622/WFW3.11 😎
Deskpro XE 450|DX2-50|32 MB|NT4.0/95
SR2038X|Athlon 64 X2 3800|2G|GT710 WINXP
Dimension 4400|P4 NW 2 GHz|256M|R128U AGP|WINXP
HPMini311|N270|2G|9400M|WINXP
Libretto50CT|P75|16MB|YMF711|WIN95 😎

Reply 6 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

that looks like a dead yoke to me, maybe some windings are shorting...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 10, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I want one of those NEC multisync 3ds for all my vintage computing! Sorry to see yours is on the fritz, hope you get it sorted.

Reply 10 of 10, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

that looks like a dead yoke to me, maybe some windings are shorting...

It can't be caused by a bad yoke, monitor still displays raster, just in blue only.

From your second photo, it can be seen that the upper part of the picture is stretched, which indicates fault in vertical output section, stretch is caused either by dry joints or failed caps. Red and green color beams should overlap each other where blue text is, to form white color, but now they are simply uncontrolled, aka no R-G signals reach red and green electron guns. Check neckboard, something as simple as loose/corroded connections could cause that or in the worst case, failed video amp chip or amp transistors.