VOGONS

First post, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a partially broken v3 and wanted to check if any broken capacitor were broken under the Heatsink, and with this easy trick I could get it off in less than 10 seconds. You just need dental floss and place it between the chip and heatsink.
https://youtu.be/W7oL3sfztUU

No glue / thermal compound was found under at the chip, it was all in the heatsink. Now I need to find a way to clean it without scratching.

Reply 1 of 8, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I removed successfully the "glue" from the heatsink itself. I just scratched it with my nail on one corner and then it off in one piece. I need to test the card again, there is a slight change that the thermal compound was acting maybe not like a heat transfer compound but like a heat blocking barrier. And if this was the case than maybe those artifacts are fixed. Doubt, but I'm hoping so.

bsnywH9l.jpg
KTxglbAl.jpg
ERxk0Yyl.jpg

edit: added photos

Reply 3 of 8, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

buying a heatgun just to remove a heatsink seems eccessive, I managed to get it out in no more than 10 seconds and without damage (visible, since the card was already half broken). Plus dental floss costs like 1-2 dollars

Reply 7 of 8, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Logistics wrote:

Has anyone tried sanding the silicon down until they reach the core?

That's not silicon. EMC = epoxy mold compound. It contains some silicon dioxide or another kind of filler in order to improve thermal conductivity. You have to sand off about 75% of the epoxy by height in order to reach the core.

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 8 of 8, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aaronkatrini wrote:
I removed successfully the "glue" from the heatsink itself. I just scratched it with my nail on one corner and then it off in on […]
Show full quote

I removed successfully the "glue" from the heatsink itself. I just scratched it with my nail on one corner and then it off in one piece. I need to test the card again, there is a slight change that the thermal compound was acting maybe not like a heat transfer compound but like a heat blocking barrier. And if this was the case than maybe those artifacts are fixed. Doubt, but I'm hoping so.

bsnywH9l.jpg
KTxglbAl.jpg
ERxk0Yyl.jpg

edit: added photos

Did you manage to fix your "artifacting" problem?. I´ve got the same model and I`m experiencing the same issue. Thanks!