VOGONS

First post, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there,

I would like to check a new platform for my Matrox m3D (PowerVR 2).
AFAIK the PowerVR is dependent on the PCI-Bus speed and - to use it's full capability - I am thinking about a hardware reconfig.
Currently it is running on a TritonTX Mainboard with a IDT W2A-200 CPU.

The question is now:
a) stick with the TritonTX Mainboard with a IDT W2A-200 CPU & Matrox Millenium II PCI 4MB + m3D
b) go for my Biostar M5SAA with a K6-2 450Mhz & Matrox Millenium II PCI 4MB + m3D
c) go for my MSI-6119 BX2 with a Pentium II 350MHz & Matrox G200 AGP 8MB + m3D

Any opinion what might be the best choice?

TNX & regards

ildoaldo

P1140405small.jpg
Filename
P1140405small.jpg
File size
57.99 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 2 of 15, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry, my PIII is already occupied by my Voodoo 2 SLI system 😉

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 4 of 15, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Also again, M3D != PowerVR 2. PowerVR2 = CLX2, Neon250, NG/SG

Yea, the M3D is the PowerVR PCX2, which is known as 'Series 1'.
Someone spent a lot of time putting all series and chips on Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerVR#Series1_(NEC)

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 5 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ildonaldo wrote:

Sorry, my PIII is already occupied by my Voodoo 2 SLI system 😉

Assuming you've got the PCI slots, this isn't necessarily a problem.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 15, by MrSmiley381

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Mine's never been happier with a northwood.

I still find it odd that Gona's DOS video compatibility tests show that Tomb Raider has better results with some very specific PCI cards regardless of CPU speed. My target for the M3D is Tomb Raider, Mechwarrior 2, Resident Evil, and Virtual-On, with anything else being a bonus. I think Virtual-On is the only one that does a lot better with a faster CPU, but that also means the period-correct MMX machine is still not the best machine still won't do it for me 😵

At this point, I might as well ask you for benchmark methods and results, even if it means I get beat over the head with topics and posts I'm sure I've read before. I just want to make this little accelerator SCREAM, much like the OP.

I spend my days fighting with clunky software so I can afford to spend my evenings fighting with clunky hardware.

Reply 7 of 15, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for sharing your ideas, but it would be great if someone could contribut a opinion to my initial question - should it be a, b or c?

FYI: I have several retro machines in my collection, but I like to stick with period correct hardware (+/- 1 year) in combination.
So e.g. my PIII or my XP 3200+ are no option for this project.

Reply 8 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scali wrote:

Someone spent a lot of time putting all series and chips on Wiki

unfortunately the PowerVR2 part of it is written in a bit of a misleading DC fandom gush making it sound more advanced than it actually is. 😐

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 15, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ildonaldo wrote:

Thank you for sharing your ideas, but it would be great if someone could contribut a opinion to my initial question - should it be a, b or c?

FYI: I have several retro machines in my collection, but I like to stick with period correct hardware (+/- 1 year) in combination.
So e.g. my PIII or my XP 3200+ are no option for this project.

I'd go with Option B (the K6-3) - I have mine in a similar system, and it does OK. Most of the stuff that you'd want to play on it runs reasonably well. Although as Leilei mentioned, the faster the CPU, the better.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 10 of 15, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you xjas, I tend to this too, but is there any further (qualified) opinion on that matter?
Should it be a, b or c ...

Reply 12 of 15, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More CPU-Power is mostly better (if there is no tp-bug in the software), but how about the real frames on the m3d compared in:
- Pentium1 200
- Pentium2 350
- Pentium3 500

Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 13 of 15, by misterjones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I always wondered how far these things would scale. I remember either an Anandtech or Tom's Hardware article about it that showed that the PCX2 ran faster with faster processors.

I also remember an article on the M3D, specifically, that showed ever so slightly better framerates when paired with a Matrox Mystique. That's how I ran mine: Matrox M3D with a Mystique 220 on a SS7 board (Matsonic board w/K6-2 300 at the time)

Reply 14 of 15, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
misterjones wrote:

I always wondered how far these things would scale. I remember either an Anandtech or Tom's Hardware article about it that showed that the PCX2 ran faster with faster processors.

Yes, the deferred rendering approach means that there is more work involved on the CPU to sort and bin all polygons to the correct tiles in the correct order, before performing the final rendering.
The more polygons a game uses, the larger the difference with immediate mode renderers will become.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 15 of 15, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Faster faster faster, to me more interesting is since what cpu you get acceptable framerates.
For me a Voodoo1 or any other early 3D chip is good if it reaches 30fps at minimum 512x384 (because it looks great on a 15" eizo 1024x768)

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines