VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,
while I try to fix a better card I was trying this one (Foxconn 8500GT 256MB DDR3 PCI-EX) on the P5E-VM-DO mainboard (Q35 chipset) with the Core 2 E8600 cpu eand 4GB DDR2. I found this vga for like 5$ and it works correctly on Linux LXDE with the open source nouveau drivers.
I'd like to ask your opinion on this video card and how good it was/is on features/speed and if it'd worth to buy a Geforce GT610 or GT710 or 6670 or R5 230 to push this config even more for both multimedia and eventually try some low-res (max 720p) Opengl/Dx demos/games.

Also I'd like to ask something I don't understand: using a benchmark of the hardinfo program on linux (the GPU test) the Q35 iGPU results in MUCH higher values with the Intel Open Source drivers and the test finish much much sooner. How is that possible considering these cards should not be even comparable?

Thank

Reply 1 of 4, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think you're underestimating how much of a cut down product the 8500 GT is. It's a similar story for the GT610/GT710, they're not built for performance and represent the lowest end of a feature set. You can find much better cards which are also powered by PCI-E slot only, if that's a requirement, like the GTX750. Or find a bargain GTX 660 for something still quiet and not very power hungry. There are so many good options.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidi … rocessing_units

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 2 of 4, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BushLin wrote:

I think you're underestimating how much of a cut down product the 8500 GT is. It's a similar story for the GT610/GT710, they're not built for performance and represent the lowest end of a feature set. You can find much better cards which are also powered by PCI-E slot only, if that's a requirement, like the GTX750. Or find a bargain GTX 660 for something still relatively quiet and not very power hungry. There are so many good options.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidi … rocessing_units

Thank. The idea was not necessary build a game machine, more a mixed old-new browser, office, multimedia htpc-like machine with modern features and eventually some late generation 3D test bench demos even if low framerate. I usally like the idea of lowest end but latest generation gpus where I will not worry about huge power supplies and extreme temperatures. I don't care about frame rate, full hd or 4k res, 1024x768 for me is still a good resolution.

Reply 4 of 4, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bakemono wrote:

Q35 chipset has GMA 3100 doesn't it? An 8500GT should be waaaaaay faster than that.

That's what I was thinking too. I suspect that for Xorg LXDE gui the Intel open drivers are really well optimized for 2D situations like the one tested by hardinfo program. I imagine they themself wrote maybe the open drivers (?).

UPDATE: I tried the proprietary drivers with my new GT610 1GB and as imagined the hardinfo values are now higher. I 'd imagine is something related to nouveau open drivers.