VOGONS

First post, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello VOGONS members.

I'm wondering if any of you guys know other ways to getting in-game screenshots with a 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 without the result looking something like this:
yTAKrWC.png

I know in order to get an "accurate" screenshot, the program that is taking the screenshot in question needs to access the "back buffer" or something in order to get the full output image instead of a garbled "half" of it. Right now, I'm using HyperSnapDX v3.64.02 in order to get screenshots off of my V5, but for one it's not a "free" program (like that matters with old software; just find a crack or code online), and two I have to manually open the program ahead of time before I want to take a screenshot.

Therefore, I'm asking the greater VOGONS community to see how they get their in-game screenshots for ideas as to whether there is better software and better solutions out there that I can use myself.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 1 of 9, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

which os are you using? i should recommend fraps 1.9
search it in majorgeeks, is the last version for windows 98se/ME

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 2 of 9, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weldum wrote:

which os are you using? i should recommend fraps 1.9
search it in majorgeeks, is the last version for windows 98se/ME

I am using Windows 98SE, and my machine I'm testing with is my S370 PIII-S 1.4GHz Tualatin machine. Thing is, I already had Fraps 1.9 installed, but I get a FRAPS warning when launching it, warning me about a DirectInput issue and thus hotkeys not working. I assume it has something to do with the fact that I'm using DX7 instead of DX9. Thing is, I try not to install DX9 unless I need to.

So, then, question is, are there other programs out there that work with DX7?

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 3 of 9, by duga3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have not tried it myself so I dont know if it works in games or even with your setup but you could try !Quick Screen Capture from:

http://www.etrusoft.com/download.htm

Fraps 1.9d works for me under W98SE, but I use DX8.2

98/XP multi-boot system with P55 chipset (build log)
Screenshots
10Hz FM

Reply 4 of 9, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
duga3 wrote:

Have not tried it myself so I dont know if it works in games or even with your setup but you could try !Quick Screen Capture from:

http://www.etrusoft.com/download.htm

Okay, just tried it. First, it's another technically not-free program. What features you get with paying for it, though, are a mystery for me. However, sadly, this doesn't work in-game at all. It allows for DirectX in-game captures, according to the settings menu, but I guess when you go into a Glide game, it doesn't work.

duga3 wrote:

Fraps 1.9d works for me under W98SE, but I use DX8.2

When you say "worked," you mean not showing a "DirectInput" error upon startup? Also, is this with a 3dfx card or not?

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 5 of 9, by duga3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Like I have said, its just something I have stumbled upon but didnt try myself. I remember reading people had issues taking screenshots in Glide games in general so perhaps there is no way and you need to rely on in-game screenshot tool - if the game has it. If there was a well known way then someone would have already posted some popular solution by now, a lot of people on vogons have 3dfx cards.

When I said "worked" I meant there are no errors and measuring FPS works just fine. I didnt try taking screenshots with it nor do I own a 3dfx card (yet). I am currently on Quadro FX1300. If you will want me to test something with Fraps 1.9d on my machine, feel free to ask.

You can make a backup of your disk and try DX8.2, see if that helps with the Fraps error you are having.

98/XP multi-boot system with P55 chipset (build log)
Screenshots
10Hz FM

Reply 6 of 9, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.etrusoft.com/screen-capture-softwa … s/HyperSnap.htm

This one even says glide games in the description? Didn't try it myself...

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 7 of 9, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
duga3 wrote:

Like I have said, its just something I have stumbled upon but didnt try myself. I remember reading people had issues taking screenshots in Glide games in general so perhaps there is no way and you need to rely on in-game screenshot tool - if the game has it. If there was a well known way then someone would have already posted some popular solution by now, a lot of people on vogons have 3dfx cards.

When I said "worked" I meant there are no errors and measuring FPS works just fine. I didnt try taking screenshots with it nor do I own a 3dfx card (yet). I am currently on Quadro FX1300. If you will want me to test something with Fraps 1.9d on my machine, feel free to ask.

You can make a backup of your disk and try DX8.2, see if that helps with the Fraps error you are having.

Okay. Yeah, I guess I can try out DX8+ and see if Fraps works. It is very easy after all to restore a 98 install - just copy the files over again. 😜

meljor wrote:

🤣 You know that's the program I said I was using to begin with, no?

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 8 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When I have issues screenshotting my old hardware (i.e. ingame screenshot feature not grabbing G100A or PCX2 buffer) I have Paint Shop Pro 5 open on hotkey capture mode to just grab the whole screen multiple times. It of course won't work with secondary video adapters and their APIs (it won't nab a thing from a V1/V2's Glide)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 9, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
the_ultra_code wrote:
Okay. Yeah, I guess I can try out DX8+ and see if Fraps works. It is very easy after all to restore a 98 install - just copy the […]
Show full quote
duga3 wrote:

Okay. Yeah, I guess I can try out DX8+ and see if Fraps works. It is very easy after all to restore a 98 install - just copy the files over again. 😜

meljor wrote:

eh... 😊

🤣 You know that's the program I said I was using to begin with, no?

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1