VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,
I am using lately this brand new Point of view GT610 1GB DDR3 with passive only heatsink and running some Unigine benchmarks it easily reach (this summer) 100°C and more with the case opened on the side.The Auto thermal logic should cut frequencies down to 210Mhz for the GPU and it does in the desktop.
But anyway I've read the maximun temp for this gpu is 102°C! Is it possible that a card is released without a fan and this easily (and with a E350 cpu...) reach these temps with the official linux drivers?
Any opinions?
Thank you.

Reply 1 of 5, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My opinion is that you can't always trust stock cooling devices to be adequate. 100C is nuts. But does the temperature look normal when the system is idle or first starts up? It could just be a bad reading...

I have a passively cooled GeForce 210 which I don't think ever got above 75C. And they are both 40nm parts with similar die size, so it would be unexpected if a 610 had overheating problems.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 3 of 5, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bakemono wrote:

My opinion is that you can't always trust stock cooling devices to be adequate. 100C is nuts. But does the temperature look normal when the system is idle or first starts up? It could just be a bad reading...

I have a passively cooled GeForce 210 which I don't think ever got above 75C. And they are both 40nm parts with similar die size, so it would be unexpected if a 610 had overheating problems.

In the desktop the gpu remains at 50C and the heatsink is burning so it's not a contact problem. Is it right the max freq of the gpu read in games 810mhz?

Reply 4 of 5, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bakemono wrote:

I have a passively cooled GeForce 210 which I don't think ever got above 75C.

That's just mean that you didn't run shaders heavy workload. I removed the fan on mine when the fan was faulty and crackling along. GPU-Z showed the temperature hitting 97C running NFS3 Hot Pursuit at 1024x768 with dgVoodoo2. That was in the winter with ambient temperature 60F. The fan aluminium heatsink combo looked cheap on my Geforce G210 and perhaps didn't do a good job at heat transfer without fan blowing. I didn't bother to replace the fan/heatsink, upgraded to GT730-GK208B as one showed up on-sale on amazon.com.