VOGONS

First post, by GordonFreeman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I have a problem with my Matrox m3D that I haven’t been able to solve. I’ve tried several things, but nothing seems to solve it. The problem is this: when I run Tomb Raider (PowerVR version), if I try to immediately play another PowerSGL game (the one I use for testing is the PureVex demo) the other game will either play extremely slow, or won’t load, or I get an “illegal operation” or kernel error. There might be other PowerSGL games/programs that trigger this problem as well, I’m not sure. I thought it could have something to do with the way the system handles PCI ports, because the same thing happened with my Sony Vaio I just got as well as another P4-based system, which tells me it isn’t due to a problem with either system's specific components, unless it’s some type of compatibility problem with P4 processors. The Sony Vaio also has a P4. I tried putting the m3D in different ports though, and it didn’t make any difference. I also thought it could be due to software I’m running, but after doing lots of testing, I don’t think it’s that either.

I also don’t think it’s due to a specific driver for the m3D I’m using, because I’ve tried lots of drivers, and they all exhibit the same issue. Another thing I’ve noticed is that, when this issue occurs, any other PowerSGL game fails to run one way or another - however, if I run Tomb Raider again, it runs just fine. I thought it could be due to a hardware issue with the PowerVR, but in that case it doesn’t make sense why the card would have an error when I run one game and then work fine again with another (Tomb Raider). That makes it seem like the hardware itself is fine, at least - and the problem probably has to do with the way that other hardware, software, or drivers are using it. Again, I'm not sure.

I can try some different configurations as far as which PCI slots I’m using, but I doubt that will solve anything.

So, I’ve kind of run out of ideas of what could be causing this. Does anyone have a suggestion? I will be away from the Vaio for a few days, but I’ll be able to do more testing when I get back in a few days.