VOGONS

First post, by Tatsuya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, I just got a GeForce3 Ti 500 on eBay. I installed it in my machine and I see garbage on screen. I'm really pissed right now because this wasn't exactly cheap. I'm thinking maybe the capacitors have gone bad, but it could definitely be something else. What should I try doing to fix it before I send it back?

Attachments

• 3542342213.PNG
    Filename
    3542342213.PNG
    File size
    1.15 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • wqe3223112.PNG
    Filename
    wqe3223112.PNG
    File size
    1.75 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 3, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very likely bad video ram. 🙁
Inside the attatched archive there's a .iso of Video Memory (Stress) Test Clean Environment. Burn it to a disc and use it to test the ram.
You can also get the file here: https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/vide … tress_test.html

Run the test multiple times by resetting the machine and booting off the CD again. If the errors always occur at the same point it's 99.9% bad ram. If the errors happen at random adresses it's likely a bad solder joint.

Edit: In theory this problem can be caused by bad capacitors but it's almost never the case. Better indicators for bad caps are random crashes under load. I really wouldn't mess with the caps as long as there's still a chance of returning the card.

Attachments

• Filename
    vmt.zip
    File size
    643.78 KiB
    Downloads
    48 downloads
    File license
Last edited by Doornkaat on 2019-08-20, 06:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 3, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is not a capacitor issue, it's faulty RAM. It will probably fuck up big time if you boot into Windows with drivers.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.