VOGONS

First post, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have few proffessional grade monitors, and I think they can output better colors, so is there somethging I can use for calibrating ?
Any help is appreciated 😊

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retro gaming : Compaq Armada E500
Portable : MacBook Air 2012
Hackingtosh : I5 6500 8GB DDR4 RX480 8GB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply 1 of 6, by DankEngihn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I personally use this on CRT monitors, and I adjust the colors in the menu with each color open to what I personally find look the best to me.

http://lcdtech.info/en/tests/dead.pixel.htm

Reply 2 of 6, by duga3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What monitors do you have (exact model numbers) and which one do you want to try calibrating? Generally you need the professional grade CRTs otherwise your options are pretty limited (such as the one suggested by DankEngihn). You will need Windows XP or higher for best results, with older OSes than that you either get a slightly lighter black level or crushed shadows. But a lot of games from pre-XP era actually look just fine with crushed shadows, if not, you can simply turn up brightness to light up the shadow areas but you will get a slightly lighter black level (which is okay if not playing in the dark). Also some games are absurdly dark (Deus Ex,..), some games will refuse color profiles (Half-Life 2,..) and some (especially older, pre-XP) games look better without color profiles.

98/XP multi-boot system with P55 chipset (build log)
Screenshots
10Hz FM

Reply 3 of 6, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My personal method of adjusting monitor settings was to take a photo of the computer desk with my DSLR and bring it up on screen. Then I tweaked the R/G/B and contrast until what I saw in front of me matched what was on the screen. Of course, the camera's white balance was also set to the color temperature of the lighting (5600K florescent).

Reply 5 of 6, by duga3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

lick the screen until it is calibrated

I bet something like that was the first recorded sighting of a moiré pattern.

98/XP multi-boot system with P55 chipset (build log)
Screenshots
10Hz FM