Rank

I have a retro PC with next configuration, as follow:
- Pentium 3 450MHz slot 1
- Voodoo 2 SLI Creative Labs
- 256MB of RAM
- 20GB Seagate
- Sound Blaster Creative 5.1
- Mouse Genius PS2 Wireless

All of this components are running on Windows 98se.

The result of benchmark in Quake 2 on 1024x746 is 59fps.

When the game is running in a normal demo (with timedemo set to 0), the image is very smooth and also if I move (left, right, up, down, etc.) the player with the keyboard I'm sure that I'm getting 60fps. The fps drop drastically (about 30fps) when I'm looking around with the mouse.

Could somebody help me with this?

Thank you!

Voodoo is the best!

Reply 3 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. This forum is for old Windows games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 8, by alexbb23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Davros wrote:

Do you have vysnc on ?

I think not. I have installed Fast Voodoo v4.6 with overclock enabled (both options are unchecked from Voodoo 2 OC tab)
Is strange because as I said: when Quake 2 is running in demo mode, the image is smooth. If I start a new game and starting moving with my mouse, the image is not smooth anymore and the game is look like is running under 35fps. First I thought maybe is from the mouse (I have one with a ball) but it is not because I tried with an optical one through a PS2 adapter with USB and the result was the same. I'm sure that I missed something (a configuration) somewhere.

I want to mention something: I also own an Voodoo 5 5500 and in quake 2 I had over 100fps but it was the same moving with the mouse.

P.S
Could somebody move this topic to the one mentioned by "collector"?

Thank you!

Voodoo is the best!

Reply 7 of 8, by alexbb23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok guys so, I figured it out what is going on... The problem is not the Voodoo drivers, the problem is the mouse on PS2 under Windows 98 which is running by default at 40HZ (so, when I move the mouse I have only 40fps). Ps2rate can help with and you are good to go.
My problem is solved now and I can go back in time and play some 98 games at 60fps 🤑 .
Thank you!

Voodoo is the best!

Reply 8 of 8, by duga3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Glad you got it! I have a similar issue with USB mouse and keyboard, still looking for a solution though 🙁 Try to set the rate as high as possible, it should feel better/smoother. But I suspect there might be a ceiling where too high rate will also decrease performance because of how W98 works/refreshes stuff (works fine on XP+).

98/XP multi-boot system with P55 chipset (build log)
Screenshots
10Hz FM