VOGONS

First post, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone know the model of this video card? (I think it's a video card, if I'm wrong please let me know)
On the back of the card there's pretty much nothing, only a datecode (I think) 8549, I assume it's made late 1985.
I have a few cards older than 1996, I'm thinking to keep those that are "relevant", so please let me know if this one would qualify.

Attachments

• DSCF2142.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF2142.JPG
    File size
    459.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • DSCF2141.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF2141.JPG
    File size
    1.07 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 8, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

CGA graphics card using UMC6845R chip, which is clone of Motorola 6845.... 16kB of memory, manufacturer to me unknown....
http://vgamuseum.info/index.php/cards/item/469-umc-um6845r

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 4 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RaverX wrote:

Thanks.
So nothing really important, I guess it's not worth keeping, but, for the moment it's my oldest card...

😵

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5 of 8, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Predator99 wrote:

Not worth keeping...?! Thats a great CGA with composite out, rather hard to get..give it to somebody who knows about retro computers :-p

My target is 3dfx era, roughly 1996-2000. Before that (before 1996) I was too young, and yes, I know little about computers from that era, that's why I asked for identification. After that (after 2000) things started to become "mainstream" (imho), plus only two major players were competing (ATI and Nvidia).

I decided to focus on that period, but still keep a few cards before and after that period. But I will try to keep only the "relevant" cards. What do I mean by that? Well, I would keep Ti4600, Radeon 9700 Pro, etc, but *not* MX440, Radeon 9250, etc. So only high end card and cards that were iconic.

I know well the cards made after 2000, so it's not a problem for me to decide what to keep, however, as I said, I'm not very familiar with cards made before 1996.

Bottom line, I would like to know from those that are more experienced than me if some of the cards are *relevant* (top end or otherwise important).

Given the card was looking very generic and I couldn't find a lot of information about it, combined with vlask's answer I assumed it's a boring mainstream card that's not worth keeping - I repeat - for me.

If I'm wrong I don't mind if I'm corrected (ideally with some arguments why the card was considered great).

Reply 7 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Where are you located? I'm sure someone wouldn't mind taking it off your hands for the cost of shipping.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8 of 8, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Where are you located? I'm sure someone wouldn't mind taking it off your hands for the cost of shipping.

Romania.
I'm not feeling that generous 😀
I would gladly trade the card with something that is worth something to me (and maybe isn't worth too much for the trader).
But that's another discussion, right now I'm just trying to see if the card is worth something (from a collector's point of view, sort of...)