VOGONS

Searching for a CRT monitor

Topic actions

First post, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Everyone I have built a Pentium III system for windows 98-ME gaming but I am having issues finding a decent CRT monitor.
Beleive it or not back in the 90s I was using a Packard Bell Club 300x ( http://www.easyinfo.co.za/htm/custom/necpacka … lub_cl300x.html ) but still enjoyed AGE II and other games of the 90s.

Problem is Ebay is my only option and CRT monitors are either to exspensive + £100 or brands I never heard of before. so far I have a list of candidates but would love peoples advice who know more than I do about CRT.

Viewsonic 15" E55 (13.8 viewable) 5.3 £25 local to me 😳
1280x1024 @65hz
1024x768 @86hz
800x600 @109hz
640x480 @134hz

Compaq MV740
NEC MultiSync FE770 17" £39.99 (collection only)
Fujitsu Siemens 15" 5Elr £49.99 + £12 shipping

If possible id rather have the Viewsonic monitor as its local, but iv never seen a 15" monitor with 1280x1024...google only has posts from people saying it should only be on 17" + monitors.
So any advice on any or all of these monitors would be a really big help to me.

Reply 1 of 65, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I searched for a long time for CRT monitors in my area and I had a tough time finding them. I noticed one in the garage of a guy while I was buying his old TV. I picked up an old computer on cl, and then as I was walking out the door the girl offered me the monitor. The listing was just for the computer. I also managed to get one for free but that is the only local listing I have ever seen in my area specifically for a CRT monitor.

Shopping on ebay is a risky proposition. The prices are steep sure, but worse than that is the risk that the monitor will be damaged in shipping. Great care has to be taken when shipping one of these, and most casual sellers on ebay just don't know how to package it properly, or any idea how much that costs. So be wary of free or low cost shipping on one of these monitors, and ask questions about shipping when you buy.

First things first, pick up that viewsonic locally! You might be able to do better than 25 euros on the price if you haggle, but local is best. Bring something to plug into it before you buy so you can gauge the condition.

When shopping for CRTs, IMO, the late 90s and early 2000's is the best era for CRTs of any kind. The Sony Trinitrons (sometimes under the Dell name) are the most sought after, but I have an LG monitor from 1999 that is truly excellent, so don't get too attached to names or aperture grills. There are some halo products, and I can list some of them if you want, but IMO it isn't necessary to pay the collector's tax on those. Anything roughly 17 inches in size that is quality and of good shape aught to make anyone happy.

If you are more into the packard bells and similar tubes from the mid and early 90's, than you can still find these today, but the appeal of those is mostly nostalgia factor. A few years later VGA displays just got a lot better and those are the ones you should look at IMO.

Reply 2 of 65, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote:
I searched for a long time for CRT monitors in my area and I had a tough time finding them. I noticed one in the garage of a guy […]
Show full quote

I searched for a long time for CRT monitors in my area and I had a tough time finding them. I noticed one in the garage of a guy while I was buying his old TV. I picked up an old computer on cl, and then as I was walking out the door the girl offered me the monitor. The listing was just for the computer. I also managed to get one for free but that is the only local listing I have ever seen in my area specifically for a CRT monitor.

Shopping on ebay is a risky proposition. The prices are steep sure, but worse than that is the risk that the monitor will be damaged in shipping. Great care has to be taken when shipping one of these, and most casual sellers on ebay just don't know how to package it properly, or any idea how much that costs. So be wary of free or low cost shipping on one of these monitors, and ask questions about shipping when you buy.

First things first, pick up that viewsonic locally! You might be able to do better than 25 euros on the price if you haggle, but local is best. Bring something to plug into it before you buy so you can gauge the condition.

When shopping for CRTs, IMO, the late 90s and early 2000's is the best era for CRTs of any kind. The Sony Trinitrons (sometimes under the Dell name) are the most sought after, but I have an LG monitor from 1999 that is truly excellent, so don't get too attached to names or aperture grills. There are some halo products, and I can list some of them if you want, but IMO it isn't necessary to pay the collector's tax on those. Anything roughly 17 inches in size that is quality and of good shape aught to make anyone happy.

If you are more into the packard bells and similar tubes from the mid and early 90's, than you can still find these today, but the appeal of those is mostly nostalgia factor. A few years later VGA displays just got a lot better and those are the ones you should look at IMO.

Shipping a CRT is indeed a risky option even collecting it myself i feel i may damage it while driving since you never know what roads will be like.
That loca Viewsonic monitor is labled as June 2002, its shown powered on but not plugged into anything so its asking to check signal cable but i will ask if he can plug it into something just to see it working.

There was a Sony Multiscan E230 (April 2002) for sale for £25 collection only....but accroding to the seller one of the Colours in the Tube is faulty, so will require replacement or repair...

Of course i would never buy a packard bell after hearing how bad they got 🤣

Reply 3 of 65, by Dunuin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Its too sad they don't build CRTs anymore...20 years ago as a child I played my games on an Iiyama Vision Master 450 CRT (BNC input, 19", flat screen, Trinitron, 1600x1200px@90Hz) but when I'm now searching for Trinitrons they want hundereds of Euros. I see people in my city willing to pay 1000€ for a Sony GDM-FW900 but they just can't find one. I'm now using a generic noname 17" CRT I've got for free. But atleat better then using my 24" TFT 😒

Reply 4 of 65, by winuser_pl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got plenty of CRT's, most of them are 15 and 17 inches. It is quite easy to find them but the 19" versions are really rare. I suggest you to take a look at the local trade/exchange sites where people puts photos and very simple description and you take it or it will be dumped.

PC1: Highscreen => FIC PA-2005, 64 MB EDO RAM, Pentium MMX 200, S3 Virge + Voodoo 2 8 MB
PC2: AOpen => GA-586SG, 512 MB SDRAM, AMD K6-2 400 MHz, Geforce 2 MX 400

Reply 5 of 65, by Duouk2000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Watch your local Gumtree, Facebook Marketplace and Sphock...etc like a hawk. Searching for complete systems might help as well.

Apart from that, check around your local area/county for second hand shops, junk shops...etc. They're around but they don't always do the best job of making themselves known (I've got the next two weeks off work so I'm going to brush up on this myself).

Reply 6 of 65, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Duouk2000 wrote:

Watch your local Gumtree, Facebook Marketplace and Sphock...etc like a hawk. Searching for complete systems might help as well.

Apart from that, check around your local area/county for second hand shops, junk shops...etc. They're around but they don't always do the best job of making themselves known (I've got the next two weeks off work so I'm going to brush up on this myself).

Oh I have been for the past year now, problem I find is that my location seams to be a dead zone for anything and everything. Any item I do find is 40-50+ miles away... UK sucks 🤣
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Viewsonic-15-retro … 353.m1438.l2649
Here is the Link to the ONLY monitor that is in my city £25 beats £100+ any day. Of course I don't know if i would even be interested in 16" + monitors as back in the 90s I never saw one bigger than 15"

Reply 7 of 65, by Duouk2000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's not always easy for sure. Wanted ads are another option, they'll be people around you with this stuff collecting dust in cupboards and stuff. Seeing someone wanting to take it off their hands might give them the prod they need.

Reply 8 of 65, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Duouk2000 wrote:

It's not always easy for sure. Wanted ads are another option, they'll be people around you with this stuff collecting dust in cupboards and stuff. Seeing someone wanting to take it off their hands might give them the prod they need.

I just wish i knew more about CRT monitors like what resolutions are desirable and any features to look out for an so on. Consdiering I was only a kid in the 90s I was happy with a crappy packard bell 14" system for years 🤣
Still having a look around facebook I found a few that seam promising.
Guy on Facebook is listing this for "Free" but will ask just to be sure but here is the monitor he wants gone https://www.cnet.com/products/philips-brillia … crt-monitor-21/
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/923187571401875/
Tbh .. I have no idea wtf those connectors on the back of this monitor are even for 😖 but 21"seams like a good size maybe ??

Reply 9 of 65, by Dunuin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That are BNC inputs and it has up to 1800x1440px. Sounds like a Trinitron. Thats kind of Monitor I used im the late 90s as a child, hust a bit bigger. Get it if it is free 😀
But if it is a Trinitron, it is heeeeavy.

Edit:
31.5 kg is written in the manual^^

Reply 10 of 65, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dunuin wrote:
That are BNC inputs and it has up to 1800x1440px. Sounds like a Trinitron. Thats kind of Monitor I used im the late 90s as a chi […]
Show full quote

That are BNC inputs and it has up to 1800x1440px. Sounds like a Trinitron. Thats kind of Monitor I used im the late 90s as a child, hust a bit bigger. Get it if it is free 😀
But if it is a Trinitron, it is heeeeavy.

Edit:
31.5 kg is written in the manual^^

Dam no wonder he asks that two people come and get it 0-o
God knows what you use BNC imputs for but the resolution and refresh rate on this monitor sounds rather good, at least my Voodoo5 should be ble to deal with it all 🤣
Of course his location is no where near local to me so i will have to work something out on that end since getting time to travel is a bitch for me.

Reply 12 of 65, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Duouk2000 wrote:

If you can get to him I'd go for it. You can't go wrong with free 😁

Well i messaged him if it was still avalible and instead of replying he just marks the items as "sold" Honestly people have no communication skills these days.
Guess I will have to get that Veiwsonic monitor I talked about before for £25 ... still I thought all monitors were 4.3 not 5.3 😖

Reply 13 of 65, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Kept on looking and found "Brand new in box with controller" PHILIPS Digitalised 17" 107E6 ( https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/107E66_05/17-in … ee-all-benefits )
The guy wants £55 for it.

So right now I have two choices.. the Philips orthe Viewsonic which is this model ( https://www.viewsonic.com/au/product_pdfs/crt … 55-06272005.pdf )

Reply 14 of 65, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Where do you find manuals for old monitors? I'd like to get the service/user manuals for the Dell M570 and M770. I'd be happy to find a simple spec sheet.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 15 of 65, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote:

Where do you find manuals for old monitors? I'd like to get the service/user manuals for the Dell M570 and M770. I'd be happy to find a simple spec sheet.

Seam to be hit or miss tbh, sometimes the manufacture still has it on there website if you are lucky while other times not so much. As for a spec sheet Cnet seams to have a lot of information weirdly, Like the Dell M570 https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-m570/
The M770 only has a quick start guide from what I seen https://usermanual.wiki/Dell/DellM770UsersMan … 3448.1365072564

Reply 17 of 65, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right I have contacted the guy selling the PHILIPS Digitalised 17" 107E6 monitor, currently waiting for a reply. And as for the Viewsonic monitor which is for sale locally I am also awaiting a reply... still not sure which monitor to go for though 😖
On better news I am now the owner of a Voovoo 5 5500 card.

Reply 18 of 65, by Duouk2000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can't go wrong with either really but I'd be tempted by the Phillips just because it's a larger screen. Spec wise they both seem fairly similar with dot pitch and refresh rates. The Viewsonic will complement your PC better if that's also biege.

I'm jealous of the V5 btw, was that a local find or something off eBay?

Reply 19 of 65, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The V5 was from Ebay, somene in Spain selling it showing tested an working on there own system can't really go wrong with it. Cost about ... £230 with postage which isn't bad considering what others are asking.
Both monitors are beirge which is important 🤣 ... but tbh I might just pick up both monitors for £80 since you never know what can or will happen to a CRT over time.