VOGONS

First post, by HYRO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I got another graphics card to my collection, this time it is reference Nvidia GeForce FX5900 Ultra.
The problem is that the fan on the card isn't spinning.
After installing drivers in Windows 98 I'm getting message from Nvidia System Sentinel that it is running at limited power.
The fan can be turned on through Rivatuner, other than that, it is not spinning.
I've tried different VGA BIOS but still it is acting the same.

I have another graphics card which is Nvidia GeForce FX5950 Ultra and it is working fine in the same system and with the same drivers.

I presume there's problem with the elements on the board it self...

Can anyone help me?

Reply 1 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

post hi-res pics of the card. Kinda sound like the voltage reg that is in-line with the molex connector is bad. Could also be something as simple as a fuse or diode.. or maybe something got knocked off the board.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 7, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I noticed the solder joints power connector was replaced with different one, not the right angle type, (4 pin power connector drive style) also, said connector was replaced has solder joints on the video card is very sketchy. Also make sure the orientation of the connector's voltages are correct: 5V for 5V and 12V for 12V, by comparing to other connector of like video card.

Have someone with good soldering station and really resolder them with flux and some more solder.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote:

I noticed the solder joints power connector was replaced with different one, not the right angle type, (4 pin power connector drive style) also, said connector was replaced has solder joints on the video card is very sketchy. Also make sure the orientation of the connector's voltages are correct: 5V for 5V and 12V for 12V, by comparing to other connector of like video card.

Have someone with good soldering station and really resolder them with flux and some more solder.

Cheers,

Exactly what I was thinking as I looked through the pics.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 7, by HYRO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is my own work, I thought it was worth to resolder some of them, it helped with my other graphics cards in the past.

Last edited by HYRO on 2019-10-19, 08:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 7, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

Yes still need to heat the solder, adding little solder to get going and bit of flux, waiting for the solder to melt completely and fuse into one homogeneous solder.

Great Northern aka Canada.