VOGONS

Which VLB Video Card to Keep?

Topic actions

First post, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a predicament.
I have to get rid of some of my machines due to a lack of space.
First on the chopping block is one of my 486 systems.

The video-related predicament is that I have two VLB video cards, and I'm not sure which one I want to keep more.

#1 is a Trident TGUI9400cxi VLB 2MB
#2 is a Hercules Dynamite (Tseng ET4000/w32p) VLB 2MB

Whichever one I keep will be kept for an Alaris Cougar BL3/486DX2@66 and used almost entirely on DOS games with maybe some light Windows 3.11 stuff and maybe some early Windows 95 games if I'm feeling saucy. The other will be put in a complete 486 system with an AMD 5x86-P75 CPU and given a new home.

Which should I keep?

Reply 1 of 23, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Flip a coin.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 3 of 23, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are they both functional still?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 4 of 23, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I own a Trident TGUI 9400 VLB card as well. It's not the fastest card, but a good performer. It's about as fast as an S3 805. However, I had problems running DOOM on it, it had completely messed up colors.

The ET4000/w32p should be quite a bit faster. If you can, keep both. A single card does not take much space and it's always good to have a spare one. I'd use the ET4000 and keep the Trident "just in case".

Reply 5 of 23, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

I own a Trident TGUI 9400 VLB card as well. It's not the fastest card, but a good performer. It's about as fast as an S3 805. However, I had problems running DOOM on it, it had completely messed up colors.

The ET4000/w32p should be quite a bit faster. If you can, keep both. A single card does not take much space and it's always good to have a spare one. I'd use the ET4000 and keep the Trident "just in case".

Thanks. I was sort of guessing the ET4000 would be better.
I can't keep the card, though, as it needs to go into a 486 that is going to a friend, and he needs a video card that isn't ISA.
I'll try running Doom on it first to see if he's maybe just better off with the ISA card though. Messed up colors sounds bad.

Reply 7 of 23, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't even know why you'd have to ask on an opinion on this. W32P is obviously the better card, unless the manufacturer of the PCB really cheaped out.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9 of 23, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's cheap because most people think that *all* Trident cards are crap. But the TGUI9400 is actually pretty good. It's on par with the S3 805 but adds a blitter, so Windows is even faster with it. Also worth noting is that the 9400 is pin-compatible with the 9440, so with soldering skills, you can upgrade the card and make it very decent (and unique, since no VLB cards with the 9440 were ever released).

Reply 10 of 23, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

It's cheap because most people think that *all* Trident cards are crap. But the TGUI9400 is actually pretty good. It's on par with the S3 805 but adds a blitter, so Windows is even faster with it. Also worth noting is that the 9400 is pin-compatible with the 9440, so with soldering skills, you can upgrade the card and make it very decent (and unique, since no VLB cards with the 9440 were ever released).

I have yet to come across a TGUI9440 on a VLB board too but vgamuseum lists a VLB based 9440AGi. Is that a full fledged 9440, a somewhat crippled 9440 or just a rebranded 9400?

be76d1a55ee5ffb3b2dc895570c95b36_XL.jpg

Reply 12 of 23, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No 9440 VLB cards were released? Are you certain I am pretty sure I have one. It's a 9440 with no designation (maybe -1, but definitely not AGi) . Pretty sure there are others on this forum that have them too. Admittedly, the 9440 is decent, but the card in question is a 9400. Also, the ET4000W32P sometimes comes equipped with a better RAMDAC than the one found on the tridents.

Reply 14 of 23, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

This is VERY interesting to me.
I'm a deft hand at soldering and desoldering, and I've done QFP replacements on SNES 1Chips before.
Maybe I'll try this...

Reply 15 of 23, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's a 9440 (no postfix) for VLB:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trident-PB-TD9440VL- … RcAAOSwmONdiNgd

Reply 17 of 23, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm going to do some mad scientist stuff.
I got a TGUI9440-1 208 QFP chip off a PCI version of the card, and I'm going to run some benchmarks on the standard 9400CXi and the frankenstein'd 9440-1 and post the results in this thread, comparing it to the ET4000/W32p and a Western Digital ISA card for giggles.

Would the Doom benchmark work best, or should I just run everything in Phil's Dosbench pack?

Reply 19 of 23, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote on 2019-10-20, 08:30:

I got one--

Photo Feb 03, 10 50 46 AM (1).jpg
Filename
Photo Feb 03, 10 50 46 AM (1).jpg
File size
98.63 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The 9400cxi was one of the better performers out of the cards that I have. I don't have a Tseng to compare it with, sorry.

VLB Card           Doom Realtiks
Trident 9400cxi 2,932 (Noticeable vertical banding on LCD)
Mach32 EXM195a 2,869 (Sharp picture)
CL-GD5429 VLB 2,793 (Noticeable vertical banding on LCD)
Trident 9440 VLB 2,700 (Sharp picture)
Mach32 EXM228 2,693 (Sharp picture)
S3 Trio+ 2,622 (Acceptable picture)

All of these cards start to get within 5% in the DOS tests as you get CPU bound. A BL@66 is going to be kind of CPU bound on either card, yes?

I think you should keep the card that has better image quality on the monitor that you use. A 5% benchmark improvement is nothing to brag about if the display image looks like trash, either because of signal interference or poor compatibility with your software.

IF money is your motivation, you probably will get a better prices for the Tseng card.