VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know there are lists for DOS and Windows 98 games with 3dfx/Glide support, but is there a list of games that have 3dfx/Glide 3D acceleration but no OpenGL or Direct3D support? (I guess we can exclude games that also support fringe APIs like Virge3D or MeTaL etc..)

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 10, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
blurks wrote:

The search engine is your friend: Glide-only Games

I think on his criteria, hes gonna have to cut that list down. You should probably browse thru: 3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)

and remove any games which other cards also support to develop a list of Glide-Only. Also, I know Outlaws received a Direct3D patch later. Not sure if you want to make some sorta of distinction between Glide-only at launch or patched in.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 3 of 10, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't find any usefulness of such list other than making 3Dfx bashers look bad of their poor propriety 3D APIs support. The 3D games list of propriety 3D APIs here explicitly excluded 3Dfx Glide, otherwise the list would be so long that put the rest of the players in shame. 🤣
In fact, early OpenGL games such as GLQuake/Quake/Half-Life can also be considered 3Dfx exclusive not until a year or so later, as only Voodoo has the miniGL and performance to play them.

Reply 4 of 10, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think that's being a little extreme but I see your point.

The first 3d Accelerator that Quake supported was Rendition Verite via VQuake. It doesnt even require Windows like GLQuake. It's not like most of the other big games didnt get patched with some support for other cards, it's just 3dfx did it best.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 5 of 10, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The list over at nglide is very good imho.

http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide/compatibility

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 6 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BinaryDemon wrote:
blurks wrote:

The search engine is your friend: Glide-only Games

I think on his criteria, hes gonna have to cut that list down. You should probably browse thru: 3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)

and remove any games which other cards also support to develop a list of Glide-Only. Also, I know Outlaws received a Direct3D patch later. Not sure if you want to make some sorta of distinction between Glide-only at launch or patched in.

I think this is what I will do manually..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 10, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BinaryDemon wrote:

The first 3d Accelerator that Quake supported was Rendition Verite via VQuake. It doesnt even require Windows like GLQuake. It's not like most of the other big games didnt get patched with some support for other cards, it's just 3dfx did it best.

In fact, Rendition Verite had a good head-start on games support. I remembered reading USENET posts back then that someone regretted buying an expensive Voodoo with no games but just demos to show, while Rendition Verite already had quite a number of titles out there on the shelf, and vQuake was a significant one.

Rendition thought they had struck a gold mine by sealing an exclusive deal with Id on accelerated Quake, but their lawyers worded the contract only forbidding Id to work on other propriety 3D APIs. When 3Dfx showed Id the power of Voodoo, Id couldn't do anything, but ha 🤣 OpenGL wasn't bounded by the contract, so they came up with GLQuake and 3Dfx quickly followed up with the plan for miniGL. So there ended the story and Rendition's supposedly "gold mine" turned into pitfall when vQuake playability paled in comparison with GLQuake running on 3Dfx Voodoo. And, only 3Dfx Voodoo has the power to run GLQuake on consumer PCs.

Reply 8 of 10, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Need for Speed II SE had either software or Glide rendering, no D3D or Open GL

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 10 of 10, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are already lists of fringe apis and glide games
and i think opengl too http://www.zeus-software.com/forum/viewtopic. … =10&t=672#p3472
so the missing lists are: software and direct3d. Once this is done we got everything.