VOGONS

First post, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys,

I am using a Dell E178FPc with my 486 pc. I am using a Tseng ET4000/W32p based VLB card. I am happy with the setup except for one thing:
I adjust the screen position in Dos/Windows. However, when for instance start Doom, the screen position is shifted about 1 cm to the left. If I adjust the screen position in the game, it is again shifted, but this time in Dos/Windows.

Do you guys have any idea whether it is just simply an issue with this specific monitor? Or do you guys know any fix for this issue?

Thx!

Reply 1 of 4, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your monitor seems to be an older variant with pure analogue controls (potentiometres) and no way of storing/saving/remembering the settings for the different resolutions and refresh rates. Even though the resolution does not seem to have changed, a shift of the picture indicates at least a change in refresh rate. Only later models that started introducing digital controls on the monitors were able to store picture position data to revert to when the resolution changes back.

Your monitor can't do that and continuous adjustments of the screen at each resolution and/or refresh rate change is necessary.

Reply 3 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
skel2raw wrote:

So basically you are saying I need a new monitor if I do not want to bother adjusting the screen everytime.

That, or choose a Windows resolution/refresh rate that results in a picture closer to the position of your DOS games.

Newer monitors don't automatically help either, I have the same issue with my blue (post 2001 iirc) Iiyama 17" Diamondtron. To work around it, I set Windows desktops to 1024x768@75Hz, even though monitor can easily handle 85Hz (or a lot higher at this resolution), and 1024x768@75Hz ends up very close to VGA 320x240@70Hz.

Reply 4 of 4, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
skel2raw wrote:

So basically you are saying I need a new monitor if I do not want to bother adjusting the screen everytime.

That, or choose a Windows resolution/refresh rate that results in a picture closer to the position of your DOS games.

Newer monitors don't automatically help either, I have the same issue with my blue (post 2001 iirc) Iiyama 17" Diamondtron. To work around it, I set Windows desktops to 1024x768@75Hz, even though monitor can easily handle 85Hz (or a lot higher at this resolution), and 1024x768@75Hz ends up very close to VGA 320x240@70Hz.

Yep. I have two 14" VGAs that are 5 years apart... Build years 92 and 97. The older one has 5 potentiometres, only analogue controls.
The newer one has buttons instead, and is able to store the picture position data for every resolution and refresh rate combo. After plugging it in after a long time, the settings are erased. But after "correcting" each new resolution that is requested once, it remembers them until a prolongued power outage period.