Rank

Hi.

GA-6VTXE
PIII-1133 (Tualatin)
2x128 PC133 SDRAM
ASUS GeForce2 Ti 64MB DDR
Diamond MX300

WIndows 98 SE

Half-Life and UnrealT work flawlessly, in GL/A3D mode.

Decided to check out MDK (mdka3d3d.exe) and Driver (1999), but seem to experience severe frame drops when:
Stuff is exploding (MDK) -- explosions also are just plain white polygons (not triangles -- the explosion models themselves are not textured)
Graphics set to more than Low (Driver) -- runs fine on Ultra in Garage, but in Take a Ride (Miami) the game works like its Speed it about 60% (but the sound and framerate is OK -- I just thought the car was slow at first). Strangely, 'Car chases' (demos) don't have this issue and run normally.

Weird, GF2 Ti should be more than enough for these games.

So I stumbled upon pretty good (seemingly) GPU -- ASUS N6800XT (128MB AGP) -- allegedly fastest Win98-compatible card. And I almost bought it, until I did some research and got contradictory answers when trying to search for the answer (will it work in Win98).
I decided to open the driver archive (ForceWare Release 80 Version: 81.98 Release Date: December 21, 2005).
NVAML.INF does have an entry for 'NVIDIA GeForce 6800 XT'
It's not mentioned in the Readme, or on nVidia site.
Official drivers from ASUS only support Windows XP and above.

Anyone managed to get this card working under Win98 SE? Does that entry in 'NVAML.INF' mean it will work?

Last edited by lafoxxx on 2019-11-03, 11:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 20, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe it is using the pci-e to agp bridge chip and for that it is avoided to use in some systems. Cards like the vanilla 6800 or the LE version can be found cheap with the older NV chipset that doesn't need a bridge chip. Every 6800 card is overkill for a tualatin so pick one without the bridge chip is what I would do in that case..

The geforce 2ti should be a great match for that system? I have experienced the same insane drops in Driver, it is running WAY better on 3dfx hardware (perfectly actually) which is weird as I also used cards that are much faster than the voodoo's. Maybe try a very old driver? The geforce2 can be used by drivers like 7.76 which is pretty fast and compatible in old games. Trying older versions of directx may also solve it.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 3 of 20, by lafoxxx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks guys.

I originally assembled this system for up to DX8 games, like NOLF, Max Payne, GTA3, etc. but now I'm starting to think I don't really remember which GPU was installed in my dad's PC (Pentium 4 1.3) -- I only realize it amost certainly was not GeForce 256, which also was used at some point.

Guess I'll be installing GF4 Ti4200 into that system instead. Seems like much better chioce, and not as much overkill and driver issues as GeForce 6 series.

Reply 4 of 20, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know why your GeForce 2 ti struggle. You probably installed the latest drivers for it. But they're total shit for earlier cards !! You can get the earliest driver made for it here I don't know the exact release date of the GeForce 2 ti, but driver 6.31 should work ok.

Same goes with the GeForce 4. If you install the latest drivers, or even drivers that are just a little too new, you'll be in big trouble.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 5 of 20, by lafoxxx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

I know why your GeForce 2 ti struggle. You probably installed the latest drivers for it. But they're total shit for earlier cards !! You can get the earliest driver made for it here I don't know the exact release date of the GeForce 2 ti, but driver 6.31 should work ok.

Same goes with the GeForce 4. If you install the latest drivers, or even drivers that are just a little too new, you'll be in big trouble.

Thanks.
Tried installing thie version -- got prompted to insert CD, which I don't have.. Trying to 'fool' thie wizard by pointing to the driver folder instead didn't work.
Pointing to the other (previously installed) driver folder instead did work, but the issue is not resolved.

Guess I'll stick with this version for now -- Driver can be played flawlessly (almost) on my modern Win10 system, with EAX thru Alchemy. Also it turns out OpenAL is not used in Driver at all -- so no reason to even bother installing it to the system in question. Other games (like Unreal, HL) work great. I only lack performance in NOLF, and probably will need it in Unreal 2, GTA3 and Blood 2, so I guess I'll just check what happens to newer games' performance after installing GF4 Ti

Reply 6 of 20, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah windows 9x being windows 9x ... Pointing to the directory should work, but apparently not. The 6.18 driver should work too, just try them. But since you've a newer driver installed on the machine, windows 9x will be quite annoying with you 😒

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 7 of 20, by RoberMC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The fastest Nvidia card with Win98 support is the GeForce 7800GS/7900GS AGP cards. (With a driver released by BFG, or a modded one that is around here)

Also, i think the problem is your CPU, a P-III will not be able to exploit the full potential of a Geforce 2 Ti, imagine a 6800 or a 7800GS 😉

Reply 8 of 20, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

White polygons are often a sign of needing to use older drivers.

Older drivers should work with the Geforce 2 Ti (unless they changed something with the die-shrink) but you have to force install them or edit the .inf. The oldest driver I found that has official support is 21.85. This a beta driver however and should probably be avoided. I use 23.11 for my card and it works well.

Reply 9 of 20, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RoberMC wrote:

The fastest Nvidia card with Win98 support is the GeForce 7800GS/7900GS AGP cards. (With a driver released by BFG, or a modded one that is around here)

You can use PCI-e GPUs in Win98 you know ?

3DMark 2000 7900 GTX 12GB 2GHz.png
Filename
File size
300.85 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

157143230295.png

Reply 10 of 20, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RoberMC wrote:

Also, i think the problem is your CPU, a P-III will not be able to exploit the full potential of a Geforce 2 Ti, imagine a 6800 or a 7800GS 😉

There is also the 7950GT AGP which is the fastest AGP card ever released by nVidia.

The PCIe 7900GTX also works in 98SE with a modified driver.

8800GTX does not work as far as I can tell. Have yet to test the G80 320MB 8800 GT or the Quadro version of the 7900GTX that has 1GB RAM.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 20, by PKFreeZZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have to agree with @lost77, the later drivers work horribly on Windows 98 and they do indeed have problems with texturing, at least in my experience. I got blank models on my cap-plagued old P2B with the 6x.xx+ drivers but the older non ForceWare ones worked fine.

As for the hardware wizard being finicky, select "Display a list of drivers to choose from" and then browse it in the "Have disk" option. You'll not only be notified that you're installing and older driver, but you can also switch between them in the future if you look for them in the list!

My Windows 98 PC: Slot 1 Pentium III 600 (Katmai) | 256MB PC133 SDRAM | 64MB Leadtek WinFast GeForce2 Pro | Creative SB16 CT2230 | Intel PRO/100+ with Alert on LAN* | 18.64GB Seagate ST320011A | Corsair CX430 | ASUS P2B Rev. 1.04

Reply 12 of 20, by RoberMC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote:
RoberMC wrote:

You can use PCI-e GPUs in Win98 you know ?

You are technically right, and i already knew that, but I do not think there are any P-III motherboard, like the OP's, with PCI-E Slots, nor any motherboard with PCI-E which has driver support for Win98 or can be considered a proper retrogaming rig for Windows 98 without encountering many compatibility issues, that without mentioning DOS games. Yeah, i could also build an i9 + GTX2080 and try to play DOS games on it, but... No.

On the other hand there are universal AGP boards with/without ISA Slots and driver support that can make a very compatible and overkill-powerful Win98 Rig. I was refering to this kind of builds, and to the OP's case

Reply 13 of 20, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are plenty of LGA 775 pci-e boards that can run win98. With some luck and effort even socket 1366 can run w98. I have one and it works well enough. 😈 But at the moment using Radeon X850 XT... as the modded drivers required for GF 7800 GTX are not so good.

westmere-win98yfjhx.png

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 14 of 20, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As fun as is it to use an i7 and a PCIE GPU on windows 98, when it comes to actually using the system to do more than run benchmarks, I can't say that I recommend it. I have a ASRock quad core dual-vsta and while it technically works, and I can get easily 300+ fps in quake III benchmark, I have run into lots of weird and perplexing problems. In my experience, Intel chipsets 865 work best.

Conversely, when it comes to GPUs, a little later can often be better. The drivers for nvidia and ATI took some time to fully mature. I have had a lot of success with geforce FX series cards. Geforce 4 is another good choice. When it comes to compatibility though, pretty hard to do better than a voodoo 3 or voodoo banshee.

Reply 16 of 20, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote:

Conversely, when it comes to GPUs, a little later can often be better. The drivers for nvidia and ATI took some time to fully mature. I have had a lot of success with geforce FX series cards. Geforce 4 is another good choice. When it comes to compatibility though, pretty hard to do better than a voodoo 3 or voodoo banshee.

Depends on the games and your performance target. I want to play 1600x1200 @ stable 60 fps + AA/AF and for that some serious GPU power is needed. For example I want to run Rally Championship https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobil_1_Rally_Championship with everything maxed out. Tried FX 5900 Ultra and it couldn't push 60 fps at 1600x1200 4xAA/8xAF. GF 7800 GTX crashes with this game, so not much luck either. But Radeon X850 can run it well and probably GF 6800 could also.

Reply 17 of 20, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
havli wrote:
mothergoose729 wrote:

Depends on the games and your performance target. I want to play 1600x1200 @ stable 60 fps + AA/AF and for that some serious GPU power is needed. For example I want to run Rally Championship https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobil_1_Rally_Championship with everything maxed out. Tried FX 5900 Ultra and it couldn't push 60 fps at 1600x1200 4xAA/8xAF. GF 7800 GTX crashes with this game, so not much luck either. But Radeon X850 can run it well and probably GF 6800 could also.

Wouldn't that game run just fine in windows XP though? An i7 and fast GPU is no problem in XP, in windows 98 it can be a nightmare.

Retro builds are an emotional/nostalgic thing, and it is fun to build stuff "just because", but IMO the headache of dealing with windows 9x isn't worth it unless you are trying to do those handful of things only windows 9x can do. For me, that is glide + late DOS. If you are going to push any further, just use XP. It is so much more stable and flexible.

Reply 18 of 20, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last time I tried, it didn't work properly on XP.

Of course I also have other W98 builds, with V2 SLI, AWE32, etc. Something more period correct. 😀
But this one is mostly just for this one game and for fun - to see how far can win98 go.

Reply 19 of 20, by RoberMC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, for testing and have some fun doing it, of course, everything is valid, but for really using it or recommending it to others... nope.

Also Rally Championship 2000 / Mobil 1 Rally Championship runs on Windows XP, and even Windows 7, or 8. It might need some tinkering to make the game to properly install on some computers, but it works.

Rally Championship 2000 / Mobil 1 Rally Championship / RC2000 vs my PC (Win8, 64bit, Nvidia 980) = help!