VOGONS

First post, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The idea is an 'effortless XP' - an overkill box for playing with a triple-screen setup, as well as HDTV solo. For IL2, CFS2, FS9, GPL, CMR, UT2K4. I have suitable cards from both camps, and for these games I don't see there's anything to choose between them. Is there? Seems to be just the power load.

Older games can be played on other boxes, but I'm still interested to hear where I can expect compatiblity limits with these cards. Or about any particularly good driver you've discovered.

2009 XFX ATI HD5870 188watt
2012 EVGA GeForce GTX 650Ti SSC 110watts
for
2008 ASUS P5QL PRO Intel P43
2008 Intel Core2 Duo E7200

I'll also be trying FSX for curiosity. Seems it was a bit beyond this period's CPUs.

Reply 1 of 11, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If this was me I'd get a GTX 285. That being sad the HD5870 would blend far better in a XP Core2 Duo system out of the two cards you have. The 650ti seems a little steep for a Core2 Duo system and ma lead to slight bottle necking.

Reply 2 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A GT640 or GT740 would probably be better for a system like that. The Core2Duo is going to be a bottleneck for anything faster. I wouldn't even consider that CPU for triple screen gaming. I have an old Dell XPS around here somewhere that came with a Core2Duo E6600 and HD5850 originally and that was painfully slow in 1080p on a single screen. I upgraded it to a Core2Extreme QX6800 and that picked it up a lot, but the video card was still a slug. I'd worry about upgrading that CPU first before the video card.

Reply 3 of 11, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nvidia has better drivers in general (especially OpenGL) and less noisy texture filtering.

5870 however has officially supported rotated-grid supersampling support. Only for Direct3D however.

Reply 4 of 11, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

... painfully slow in 1080p on a single screen...

That's interesting. I've been expecting better. Simply based on general reading here, and how those games perform on my AGP systems. I suspect adventure ahead.

The only thing like a heads-up I've managed to find for either card is red_avatar's general observation on DX10 kit - "you're forced to use later drivers (2008+) but compatibility is pretty high as long as you don't go 2011-2012." That suggests a 2012 card could be cornered, but I haven't found tales of woe, and several have mentioned using such cards.

So that's great then. I'll spare my PSU and forge ahead with the much cooler Nvidia. The ATI will be kept handy as backup, and for later exploration of how it's different.

Reply 5 of 11, by tanasen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd also go for the 650Ti. It's less noizy, consumes less power and might me better in openGL than the 5870. I have one (but with a 750 bios) in a C2Q system using Win7/WinXP as a backup gaming/LAN Party PC. You can always upgrade your cpu, if you wish. Modded Xeons like the E5450 would be a nice upgrade.

PC1😜 III-S 1.4GHz, GA-6VTXE, 512MB SDRAM, Albatron FX5900XTV 128MB, SB Live! 5.1
PC2😜 III 800MHz, MS-6178, 256MB SDRAM, 3DFX Voodoo3 2000 PCI, Creative CT4810
PC3😜 MMX 200MHz, SY-5EAS5, 128MB SDRAM, Diamond Monster 3D, Diamond Viper V330, ESS 1868F

Reply 6 of 11, by an81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd say go nvidia, SGSSAA can be forced with nvidia inspector (even if somewhat fiddly in some cases), and generally when it comes to AA, I've found that AMD's drivers circa 2011-13 (and arguably later) do a very poor job at forcing SSAA and transparency AA modes (checked on a 4850 with a Catalyst 13.9 and likewise RX570 struggles with modern drivers in older games). Nvidia's CSAA + Transparency SSAA do a very good job at combating jaggies at moderate performance impact.

Reply 8 of 11, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
an81 wrote:

...and generally when it comes to AA, I've found that AMD's drivers circa 2011-13 (and arguably later) do a very poor job at forcing SSAA and transparency AA modes (checked on a 4850 with a Catalyst 13.9 and likewise RX570 struggles with modern drivers in older games). Nvidia's CSAA + Transparency SSAA do a very good job at combating jaggies at moderate performance impact.

Okay, that'll be interesting to look into. Thanks. When you say "older games", roughly starting when? Or a title or two remembered as challenged.

Reply 10 of 11, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Forcing MSAA/SSAA is mostly for old games. Even DirectX 9 games can be troublesome. It became quite complex to force MSAA/SSAA on games once they started to use deferred lighting/shading (began around 2007). MSAA/SSAA started to be phased out in favor of post-processed AA like FXAA/MLAA that are very simple to apply. Unfortunately post processed AA has sucked until recently (with the arrival of temporal processing).

Recent NV and AMD cards also have a form of resolution supersampling. They call it Dynamic Super Resolution or Virtual Super Resolution. This is the only sure fire way to force a type of SSAA on relatively modern games. Some modern games actually directly support SSAA though.

Reply 11 of 11, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

MSAA/SSAA started to be phased out in favor of post-processed AA like FXAA/MLAA that are very simple to apply. Unfortunately post processed AA has sucked until recently.

Just curious -- does anti-aliasing have a Golden Reference? Some singular web-page or thread, or video?. The sort that would grace Nerdly Pleasures.

Not that I'm not enjoying picking things up in these pleasant foragings on Vogons. I'm just thinking AA probably has that page somewhere, and I ought to have read it by now.