VOGONS

First post, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found this in a roached out slot A 500mhz Athlon NEC. The roach smell was near vomit inducing, so I'm doing the whole washing in the sink routine, and letting this dry. Meanwhile I can't do anything to play with this so I figured I'd post a picture and talk about it instead. I've removed the heat sink (ignore that bit of cotton swab on one of the ram chips, I'll get that off there.) I guess this is a Vanta ms8807, though it doesn't specifically say "M64" anywhere. Is that 32mb of ram? What is this good for (game wise)?

Thanks as always in advance,
TW

Attachments

Reply 2 of 3, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, that is a TNT2 m64 with 16MB of RAM. It is not a Vanta chip (they were labelled with the Vanta name horizontally on the chip) but it might have been sold as one. The Vanta was just a poorly binned TNT2 m64 so it was clocked slower.

What is it good for? Nothing much really. I sometimes use one for testing newly acquired motherboards.

Reply 3 of 3, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good for period-correct mid-range system from 1999. If you had money to burn you would have bought a TNT2-Ultra or maybe a G400Max or Voodoo3-3000. If - like me at the time - you were a poor student, you'd probably buy one of these, as they offered a big upgrade from previous bargain-basement stuff (I previously had an ATi Rage Pro II) at about half the price of an Ultra.

Of course, the 'realistic 1999 experience' was slow, due to this TNT2-M64, only 64MB of RAM, some old 5400rpm HDD (or worse) and at best a Celeron CPU, so unless you're nostalgic for that too, you might want to go for the Ultra with a P3 and other nice stuff after all 😉