VOGONS

First post, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right, this may not be something that is commonly done, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I own a VLB ELSA Winner 1000PRO (S3 Vision 864), which comes with a STG1700 RamDAC. I've noticed that the AT&T PrecisionDAC (ATT21C498) is pin-compatible with the STG1700. I know that the AT&T was commonly used by high end manufacturers, and so I was wondering if it is possible to just swap out my STG for an ATT. The ATG is 135MHz, while it's possible to get the ATT at 170MHz. And while I realize that this is only really supposed to affect what refresh you can run at different resolutions, having a higher MHz RamDAC often improved image quality even at settings you could achieve with a slower RamDAC.
So, is there any chance such a swap would work, or would there be issues with the VGA BIOS not liking the new RamDAC?
Or perhaps the STG1700 is already high enough quality? Anyone know how these chips compare in terms of image quality. I don't own any cards with the ATT, so I can't do any kind of comparison.

Also, is there any way of changing the look of the Vogons forum back to the old one? I'm finding the new design to be a bit too busy. Too much pointless stuff on screen that actually makes it much more tiring on the eyes.

Thanks 😀

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 1 of 2, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No idea if this could work. But sounds like a nice weekend project to try.

I've seen pictures of Winner 1000 with different DACS. Incl. SGT as well as S3 SDAC and AT&T.

However since you'll be soldering in the analogue part of the card chances are that with less than ideal soldering work any benefits of better DAC could be easily lost.

High speed RAMDAC part probably doesn't make much sense with S3 86x series as memory bandwidth will likely be the issue. That's why these together with 4MB RAM came almost exclusively on 964/968 series with VRAM chips.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 2 of 2, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

pin compatible might not be bios compatible, you'd have to check the data sheets regarding chip functions outside the basic inmos g170 ramdac functions everyone supported.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--