VOGONS

First post, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know whether this is retro enough for this page, but I think that it would be an interesting system:

Can I get a GeForce 7800 GTX to work with a new AM4 B450 motherboard, under Windows 10 64-bit?

I've read that some have successfully got a GF7 card to work under Windows 10 with the Windows 8.1 driver and some have not. Those people don't write a word about the motherboard used though.

If it works, would this be a good solution to play old DX9 games or is it a silly idea? 😁

Reply 1 of 19, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GeForce 7800 as good solution for DX9 era games? Under Win 10?

Wahahaha.png
Filename
Wahahaha.png
File size
28.06 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 19, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it should work, but I'm not confident that you will be getting full (or good) performance out of the drivers on win10,
at least my Intel WDDM1 IGPs are way slower on windows 10,

I would recommend at least windows 7 if this Ryzen can take it (I think it should work but you might be locked out of windows update and the USB might not work without specific drivers?) and you are really set on running this combination

Reply 5 of 19, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GeForce DX9 lineup is a crappy choice for any NT 6.x operating systems. Vista era drivers were very so-so and after that everything quickly went downhill. And even with that out of the way, GeForce 7800 performance is still nothing to write home about. Good luck playing the original Chronicles of Riddick or Oblivion with soft shadows/HDR and acceptable framerate. Better pick GeForce 8800, 9800 or GTX 2xx.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2020-02-19, 11:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 19, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Geforce 7800 GTX is good up to windows XP.

For whinedows 10, I'd get something a little more grunty. You can get the 7800 GTX working on whinedows 10, but it isn't a very good experience.

You should just get a much more modern card, then with DX9 games they should be fine. The ones that don't run, probably have more issue with Windows 10 itself, rather than DX9

Reply 7 of 19, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Probably isn't the best idea. If you already have the 7800 at hand you might give it a go. If not, don't buy it.
Also, your Ryzen system doesn't support Win7...

IMO your best bet at older games is getting a cheap used Gtx 960.

Reply 8 of 19, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aaronkatrini wrote on 2020-02-19, 08:10:

Probably isn't the best idea. If you already have the 7800 at hand you might give it a go. If not, don't buy it.
Also, your Ryzen system doesn't support Win7...

IMO your best bet at older games is getting a cheap used Gtx 960.

I've seen people using the latest Ryzen (3rd gen) and newer motherboards with windows 7, it works, but you have some additional trouble to get USB working and such

Reply 9 of 19, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I built a cheap new system to my parents (Asrock B350m + Athlon 200GE + SSD + 16gb 2133) to upgrade a (Q6600 +4gb ram) system as main home PC.
I reused the CASE + PSU + GPU (Radeon 7790). The thing flies with normal everyday use, also older titles (ex. FarCry3) are playable at a decent framerate with medium settings.
They were used to Win7 so I wanted to install that, but upon installation it wouldn't boot and a BSOD would show up. A quick Google search suggested newer Ryzen systems aren't compatible with Win7, so I went with the Win10. I put the Win7 wallpaper and also installed Microsoft games to compensate ... 😜

As OP asked, imo it doesn't make much sense using a newer system with old components, too many driver issues and tweaks to make it work and nothing is guaranteed.

Reply 10 of 19, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aaronkatrini wrote on 2020-02-19, 15:20:
I built a cheap new system to my parents (Asrock B350m + Athlon 200GE + SSD + 16gb 2133) to upgrade a (Q6600 +4gb ram) system as […]
Show full quote

I built a cheap new system to my parents (Asrock B350m + Athlon 200GE + SSD + 16gb 2133) to upgrade a (Q6600 +4gb ram) system as main home PC.
I reused the CASE + PSU + GPU (Radeon 7790). The thing flies with normal everyday use, also older titles (ex. FarCry3) are playable at a decent framerate with medium settings.
They were used to Win7 so I wanted to install that, but upon installation it wouldn't boot and a BSOD would show up. A quick Google search suggested newer Ryzen systems aren't compatible with Win7, so I went with the Win10. I put the Win7 wallpaper and also installed Microsoft games to compensate ... 😜

As OP asked, imo it doesn't make much sense using a newer system with old components, too many driver issues and tweaks to make it work and nothing is guaranteed.

the Ryzen CPUs with IGPs (2200g/3400g/200ge and such) AFAIK are not compatible, but with the CPUs without IGP (1600/2700/3600) it should be fine,
just some additional steps to install.

not that I recommend normally to use win7 with Ryzen, but for a 7800 I sure would take win 7 over 10, but realistically that's a XP card, which you would need an older platform to run properly anyway.

Reply 11 of 19, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm going to install an Athlon 3000G for this system and it's going to be connected to the internet, so Windows 7 is not an option.

I know that some old games run pretty poor using recent DX12 cards, so that's why I got this idea of using an old card. Well, I might experiment with the 7800GTX anyway, it's interesting because I can't find anyone who has actually experience with this card using Windows 10 and a new motherboard.

Reply 12 of 19, by duga3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would also lean towards this not being a good idea, but feel free to experiment and let us know 😀

I am happily running Geforce 7 under Windows 98SE which some people would say is not a good idea either (and they would be right to a certain degree).

98/XP multi-boot system with P55 chipset (build log)
Screenshots
10Hz FM

Reply 13 of 19, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote on 2020-02-20, 11:00:

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm going to install an Athlon 3000G for this system and it's going to be connected to the internet, so Windows 7 is not an option.

I know that some old games run pretty poor using recent DX12 cards, so that's why I got this idea of using an old card. Well, I might experiment with the 7800GTX anyway, it's interesting because I can't find anyone who has actually experience with this card using Windows 10 and a new motherboard.

Poorly is a relative term. Do you have any examples of games that run badly on a new DX12 card.

I just tried 3dmark2001 se with 1920x1080 32bit color and it scored 90k points on my 2070 super. That should be good enough for most DX9 games 😁

Reply 14 of 19, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote on 2020-02-20, 12:13:

Poorly is a relative term. Do you have any examples of games that run badly on a new DX12 card.

I just tried 3dmark2001 se with 1920x1080 32bit color and it scored 90k points on my 2070 super. That should be good enough for most DX9 games 😁

I play The Sims 3 every now and then, which is allegedly a DX9 game, which does not run as smooth (<30fps) as I expected at QHD resolution and all graphics settings maxed out using my Gainward RTX2080 OC (and a lot of other brute force haha). Perhaps that has to do with the AA that's maxed out as well.

My previous card, a GTX1070, did run the original Crysis (DX9.0c) pretty well maxed out though (haven't tested with the RTX card yet).

Another experience I have is with NFS Porsche 2000 (much older game, DX7), which struggles around 30fps on average at 1280x1024 everything maxed out using a GF4 4600TI and PIII 1GHz.

Last edited by SpectriaForce on 2020-02-20, 20:58. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 15 of 19, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote on 2020-02-20, 19:09:

I play The Sims 3 every now and then, which is allegedly a DX9 game, which does not run as smooth (<30fps) as I expected at QHD resolution and all graphics settings maxed out using my Gainward RTX2080 OC (and a lot of other brute force haha). Perhaps that has to do with the AA that's maxed out as well. My previous card, a GTX1070 did run the original Crysis (DX9.0c) pretty well maxed out though (haven't tested with the RTX card yet). Another experience I have is with NFS Porsche 2000 (much older game, DX7), which struggles around 30fps on average at 1280x1024 everything maxed out using a GF4 4600TI and PIII 1GHz.

I think sims 3 is mostly limited by CPU and I/O not the GPU,

NFS Porsche can be tricky to get right, but I'm fairly confident that it runs much better than 30fps on my P3 750 + V4 4500 (but not 1280x1024, more like 800x600), apart from maybe one track,
but NFS porsche requires some work to play on newer PCs (maybe a glide wrapper and modded .exe for the CPU speed LOD bug),
I did play it in d3d fine on XP with newer cards (HD 7850) and downclocked C2D without patching, I also remember running it really well with my 9500PRO and AA4x, but with an AXP.

Reply 16 of 19, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SPBHM wrote on 2020-02-20, 20:20:
I think sims 3 is mostly limited by CPU and I/O not the GPU, […]
Show full quote
SpectriaForce wrote on 2020-02-20, 19:09:

I play The Sims 3 every now and then, which is allegedly a DX9 game, which does not run as smooth (<30fps) as I expected at QHD resolution and all graphics settings maxed out using my Gainward RTX2080 OC (and a lot of other brute force haha). Perhaps that has to do with the AA that's maxed out as well. My previous card, a GTX1070 did run the original Crysis (DX9.0c) pretty well maxed out though (haven't tested with the RTX card yet). Another experience I have is with NFS Porsche 2000 (much older game, DX7), which struggles around 30fps on average at 1280x1024 everything maxed out using a GF4 4600TI and PIII 1GHz.

I think sims 3 is mostly limited by CPU and I/O not the GPU,

NFS Porsche can be tricky to get right, but I'm fairly confident that it runs much better than 30fps on my P3 750 + V4 4500 (but not 1280x1024, more like 800x600), apart from maybe one track,
but NFS porsche requires some work to play on newer PCs (maybe a glide wrapper and modded .exe for the CPU speed LOD bug),
I did play it in d3d fine on XP with newer cards (HD 7850) and downclocked C2D without patching, I also remember running it really well with my 9500PRO and AA4x, but with an AXP.

The Sims 3 probably scales poorly on recent fast hardware (everything is up to date here). I wonder why it supports the QHD setting (the game was released in 2009), maybe that was added afterwards with an update.

NFS Porsche 2000 (EU version) is a D3D game, at least according to the big box version that I have. Possibly the PIII CPU can be a bottleneck. I still want to try it out with something faster.

Reply 17 of 19, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote on 2020-02-20, 20:56:

The Sims 3 probably scales poorly on recent fast hardware (everything is up to date here). I wonder why it supports the QHD setting (the game was released in 2009), maybe that was added afterwards with an update.

NFS Porsche 2000 (EU version) is a D3D game, at least according to the big box version that I have. Possibly the PIII CPU can be a bottleneck. I still want to try it out with something faster.

no doubt it makes poor use of current hardware;
I remember sims 3 always running badly, I guess having an SSD makes a good difference compared to how I played back then, but yes, in terms of CPU I doubt it scales well with more cores so you are still limited by as much single thread performance you can give, which should be much better now, but maybe still not that amazing for this game, but the GPU usage is probably very low,

NFS porsche default API is d3d, but it supports glide out of the box, all versions, you might have to change something in the registry to enable it on newer 3dfx hardware ( I had to on my v4, on my v2 it recognizes it by default), and AFAIK for playing it on modern OS it's much easier to use a Glide wrapper than trying to run in d3d.

Reply 18 of 19, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
duga3 wrote:

I am happily running Geforce 7 under Windows 98SE which some people would say is not a good idea either

GeForce 7800 is mostly fine for Win 9x, because it's just NV40 on steroids. Although driver choices are limited.

Reply 19 of 19, by duga3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-02-22, 10:16:
duga3 wrote:

I am happily running Geforce 7 under Windows 98SE which some people would say is not a good idea either

GeForce 7800 is mostly fine for Win 9x, because it's just NV40 on steroids. Although driver choices are limited.

I am running the 7950GT (512MB) card. Yes, drivers are really limited (unofficial driver only) but it works very well when it works 😀 Like 800FPS well, in Quake III Arena timedemo - if my memory serves me right that is.. been a long time..

98/XP multi-boot system with P55 chipset (build log)
Screenshots
10Hz FM