VOGONS

First post, by mudpie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I'm about to get my hands on a Geforce FX 5600XT AGP card, which I would like to use with the 45.23 drivers under Win 98SE.
Problem is, the 5600XT is only officially supported with later driver versions, like the 53.04.
Is there a reasonably easy way to force the 45.23 to function correctly with the 5600XT, like modding maybe? I'm thinking it's similar enough to the already supported 5200 and the 5600 that it shouldn't be a major issue . Theoretically.
I'd like the 45.23 drivers since I found they work really well with my existing PCI FX 5200, and I want to stick to what I know is solid. Or maybe the later drivers like 53.04 are still reliable and I shouldn't even bother?

Reply 2 of 7, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Isn't the FX 5600XT just an overclocked die-shrink FX5600? If so I doubt they changed the way the Silicon takes its instructions from the FX5600 so it should be able to run of its drivers. You may not get the clock speed boost though.

Force load the FX5600 drivers. I think the procedure for Windows 9x is:

* 1.) Extract NVIDIA drivers somewhere
* 2.) Go to system, device manager, right click on your video card and select "Update Driver"
* 3.) Choose from list
* 4.) Select "Have Disk"
* 5.) Scroll down to NVIDIA under the manufacturers list
* 6.) Select "NVIDIA GeForceFX 5600" (If it lists multiples, choose which ever matches your card most closely in terms of memory type, size etc)
* 7.) Force it to continue to install the non-matching driver
* 8.) See if it crashes or not
* 9.) Try a game.

Note, this isn't a sure fire solution. For example I used this to get the Mobility Radeon 9200 on my Sony Vaio laptop working under Windows 9x by using the desktop 9200 drivers. It worked but only partially, anything that invoked pixel shaders would crash. So your mileage may vary.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 3 of 7, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2020-03-02, 02:23:

Isn't the FX 5600XT just an overclocked die-shrink FX5600?

I'm pretty sure the "XT" nvidias were always inferior to other versions.

Default core/memory of 5600XT works at 235/200MHz, while 5600 works at 325/275MHz.

Actually, by default 5600XT is even slower (though older) than 5500 (270/200MHz, same core config).

Reply 6 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Note, this isn't a sure fire solution. For example I used this to get the Mobility Radeon 9200 on my Sony Vaio laptop working under Windows 9x by using the desktop 9200 drivers. It worked but only partially, anything that invoked pixel shaders would crash. So your mileage may vary.

Those are different chips. But in this case 5600XT and 5600 are identical.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 7 of 7, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-03-03, 18:41:

Those are different chips. But in this case 5600XT and 5600 are identical.

ok so it turns out the 9200 uses the desktop 9000 chip. Explains why it didn't work right.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction