VOGONS

First post, by zehef

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I found this PCI card in a local shop for 20$ : Matrox G450 MMS (up to 4screens). No box but it has the full video adapters and the card is in a very good condition.
Is this card better than a classic G450 ? (Except for the 4 screen capability, cause I'm going to use 1-2 monitors anyway)
I can't find a gaming review of this model, it seems like it wasn't very popular...
This card has a fan VS passive cooling for the original one.

I know that the G400 MAX performs the best but I can't find one...
Do you think that this G450 MMS is a good deal ?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    Filename
    unnamed.jpg
    File size
    69.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 14, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

More or less like Matrox G450 PCI. Performance should be on par with normal Matrox G400 in games without PCI bus bottleneck.

it seems like it wasn't very popular..

It's a niche card to display image on multiple panels. Why it should be?

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 14, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The G450 is a little bit slower than a G400, but all in all, it's a good card. 20$ is too much for it imho, however, especially if you are not going to use the 4-monitor feature. A stock G450 already supports 2 monitors.

Reply 7 of 14, by zehef

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It has all these cables. May reconsider the deal. If the price is fair I can keep it until I get the G400 MAX (one day maybe :'( )

Attachments

Reply 9 of 14, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For gaming no. This card won't use its 4 "cores" like a Sli card like Voodoo 5 or Fury MAXX would. Instead it can run 4 instances simultaneously.
Still for $20, out of curiosity, since it also comes with the cables, you should consider if you'd use it or keep in the collection.

Reply 12 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elmatero wrote on 2024-03-27, 07:31:

Does anyone know if this card work under Windows 98?

Doesnt look like it
https://video.matrox.com/en/apps/drivers/grap … %2C43&dualhead=

Seems like MMS 200 was the last with Win9x support.
https://video.matrox.com/en/apps/drivers/grap … previous/legacy

Normal G450 still supports win9x. Maybe you can use the driver but loose support for the extra screens?
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/drivers-for-matrox.html

Reply 14 of 14, by elmatero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had tested it out and G450 MMS actualy work in Windows 98. To get it work I had to update card bios (to newest one), and insert it in 4-th PCI port (bottom one, on 430tx motherboard).
Then in windows 98 system detects PCI to PCI Bridge and instal for it standard driver. After this four independent graphic adapter were detected.
Matrox installers didn't recognize this card. I had to manually point G450 inf file, and then, also manually select G450 model. I went with Matrox Millennium G450 DualHead DVI PCI .
After Windows restart it looks as a normal Matrox G450 card. I have tested DirectDraw and Direct3D, OpenGl and nothing crash 😀

Attachments

• 100mhz.jpg
    Filename
    100mhz.jpg
    File size
    73.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • pci.jpg
    Filename
    pci.jpg
    File size
    47.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • g450.jpg
    Filename
    g450.jpg
    File size
    45.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

ATX 1998 build: IBM 6x86MX-PR266@208 MHz on Tekram P5MVP-A4, 128MB SDRAM, Martrox G200 8MB, AZtech SC16, Windows 98FE