VOGONS

First post, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Allright...seems like i got another problem on my hands (great) leading up to SLI amazement.

dtk PRM-0080I E1
P3 500mhz
384mb of ram

My second Voodoo 2 just arrived. Its an 8mb diamond model. I allready have an existing identical V2 i was gonna sli with but board simply won't POST (or beep even) with this new Voodoo 2 installed.

Both cards are the same memory brand, same everything. Iv tried all available PCI slots, and even just the card by itself. Nothing. I can hear the CD Drive start spinning up, but the screen doesn't turn on. Doesn't matter if i have any other card in there. The minute this -ONE- particular- Voodoo 2 is installed, the pc wants to do nothing but spin the CD drive.

My socket7 board is packed away and my last PSU adaptor for it hit the hay so i can't test the card individually atm.

Everything works as usual when i put in my OG V2. The board beeps, it boots up, i can see a display on the screen and everything is hunky-dory.

Nothing seems unusual or broken on the new card. I don't think the PSU should be a problem as it works fine with my existing V2, and as both cards are identical, i'd imagine they'd borh work the same? the PSU is a 500watt generic EVGA.

Really hoping this card didn't die during shipment. Supposedly the seller tested it!

Reply 3 of 9, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-03-10, 12:10:

Check for bent pins on the chips. Especially on the FBI shorted pins can cause permanent reset etc.

Yup Upon further inspection i found pins touching on two of the big chips.

*sigh* any advice on how to separate these. Im suuuppeeer nervous of breaking this V2

Attachments

Reply 4 of 9, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-03-10, 17:21:

*sigh* any advice on how to separate these. Im suuuppeeer nervous of breaking this V2

I had this SAME EXACT thing happen to me this weekend in the SAME exact spot! I put on a headlamp, got out the magnifying handy helper, and gently moved the leg over with a #11 exacto blade (which I dulled a bit beforehand on some sandpaper....it was the thinnest tool I had to use and was still a little thick...).

Mine also wasn't turning on. Weird part was it worked fine the weekend before and I don't think I removed it since then...

Reply 5 of 9, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used a magnifier and a tip of a pin needle to separate pins on a motherboard chipset. The tip was exactly correct size that the distance of the pins became same as with the other pins in the chip and I was happy with the result.

Reply 6 of 9, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Baoran wrote on 2020-03-10, 19:01:

I used a magnifier and a tip of a pin needle to separate pins on a motherboard chipset. The tip was exactly correct size that the distance of the pins became same as with the other pins in the chip and I was happy with the result.

Ack 😵

I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this. Do i push the sowing needle inbetween the two pins, or move it at the feet.

We really need someone to do videos on these :p

Reply 7 of 9, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yup, if I remember correctly one of those is a reset line.
Just very carefully insert a needle tip or fine blade between the two pins. The bent one gets bent outward, the other one gets bent inward ever so slightly. You don't need much force. Just make sure to stop once they're safely separated and don't make the second pin connect with the third. You can absolutely do this fix, I have rather shaky hands and I can separate those no problem. I have even resoldered lifted pins on the FBI of a V1 by now. If you have somewhat steady hands you can do it! 😃👍

Reply 8 of 9, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh and yes, going in near the solder pads where the legs are still seperate and carefully moving up to separate the pins sounds good from the looks of your picture. Just remember you don't need much force.