VOGONS

First post, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have this Creative TNT2 Ultra card that works fine but outputs yellow picture. The problem is that there is interrupted path to the VGA connector, component L8 (see picture). I don't have any experience with these types of components. Do you have any idea what it is and how can I know what value it has to have to properly replace it?

1YwSuMvt.jpg u1ppAh0t.jpg

Reply 1 of 5, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I'm not mistaken usually on the PCB components are named:
R - Resistor
C - Capacitor
L - Inductor

So the L8 should be an inductor, however the value is difficult to determine without a schematic of the card. Best bet would be desolder the L12 and L13, measure them, and if they're identical, I'd assume that L8 has the same value, since the traces "run in parallel".
I'm no expert by any means, so hopefully someone can help better.

Reply 2 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Short out those inductors and you get a sharper image (and remove the little capacitors sitting between video signal and ground).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 5, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aaronkatrini wrote on 2020-03-17, 08:42:

Best bet would be desolder the L12 and L13, measure them, and if they're identical, I'd assume that L8 has the same value, since the traces "run in parallel".

That's the thing - is it possible to measure them with only a multimeter?

Tiido wrote on 2020-03-17, 12:24:

Short out those inductors and you get a sharper image (and remove the little capacitors sitting between video signal and ground).

You mean remove the inductors and connect the trace directly?

Reply 4 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, remove inductor and connect the two pads together (or put a wire across the inductor, but that won't look as neat usually). Those inductors and capacitors form a peaking network that relies on resonances to boost transitions of signals that makes some resolution (say 1024x768) look little sharper while all else gets a bit blurrier or even worse gets trailing on right side of details. Whenever I remove them I get significantly sharper image.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜