VOGONS

First post, by Swiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have one of these cards which is identified by SDD as a Tseng ET4000/W32i. The card came with 16 RAM sockets, half of which were populated with Siemans chips and the card offers 1MB RAM. I was able to buy what look like identical chips, and filled out the remaining sockets, but the card still only shows 1MB RAM. (It still works perfectly even with these extra chips.)

Any ideas whether it's possible to realize 2MB in this card? Are there different ROMs between the 1MB and 2MB models such that I may need to do a firmware upgrade?

Reply 2 of 5, by Swiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote on 2020-03-21, 19:20:

Post a good quality picture of the card , maybe there is a jumper

Here it is... I couldn't see jumpers. This picture is of the card right now, with all sockets populated.

IMG_3954.jpeg
Filename
IMG_3954.jpeg
File size
227.68 KiB
Views
File comment
Micro-Labs Ultimate Truecolor XL/2 ISA
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 3 of 5, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I guess you need the BIOS from the 2MB variant.
BTW: You mean that the video BIOS displays "1 MB", right?
What about other software, like UniVBE or Windows drivers?

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 4 of 5, by Swiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2020-03-22, 03:39:

So I guess you need the BIOS from the 2MB variant.
BTW: You mean that the video BIOS displays "1 MB", right?
What about other software, like UniVBE or Windows drivers?

BIOS display and UniVBE both say 1MB. I’ll try Windows a bit later.

Reply 5 of 5, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Somewhere in UniVBE (UVCONFIG.EXE ?) I saw an option to manually select the amount of video RAM.
Try setting it to 2 MB, and see if modes that require >1 MB work correctly - this should verify if the extra RAM is operational.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...