VOGONS

First post, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

I have two mismatched Voodoo2 12MB cards (Gainward Dragon 3000 and InnoVision Mighty 3DII) that I am trying to make work in my Win98SE build along with a GeForce Ti4200 on an ASUS P3B-F, the idea being to have a powerful D3D card for everything non-Glide with a great DOS compatibility, and the Voodoo2 SLI for Glide. When I try to run Glide stuff in Windows it freezes the computer when using some drivers - particularly FastVoodoo2 that I want to use to be able to have SLI with mismatched cards...

- I am testing using the demos provided with FastVoodoo2 4.6, but I also tried with games (GLQuake, Quake2, Unreal Gold) and the results are consistent
- Problem happens with official 3DFX drivers 3.02.02 (latest ones), FastVoodoo2 4.0 GE and 4.6
- Problem does NOT happen when using official drivers 3.03.00 and 3.03.00b (both older than 3.02.02...weird numbering scheme)
- The problem is not only with the Ti4200, I tried a MX440 and a TNT2 with exactly the same results. Tried with a Savage4, and everything works fine with all 3DFX drivers...
- I was initially testing under Win98SE USP3, DX9.0c and Nvidia ForceWare 81.98, then reinstalled a bare-ass Win98SE. Straight after the OS install, I only change the drivers for the Voodoo2 card, leaving the main card with "Standard VGA Driver" and install absolutely nothing else - the behavior is exactly the same.

Are there known incompatibilities I am not aware of? Any solution?

Thanks as usual!

Reply 1 of 6, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are no compatibility issues that I know of. Voodoo II doesn't use the 2D card for anything.

The only thing I can think off at the moment is this: FastVoodoo drivers automatically overclocks the cards to 96Mhz (no idea why). This can persist after driver uninstall. Try to downclock the cards to 90 or even 88 Mhz and see if that helps.

You might also want to pull out the cards and test them one at a time.

Reply 3 of 6, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lost77 wrote on 2020-04-06, 00:05:

There are no compatibility issues that I know of. Voodoo II doesn't use the 2D card for anything.

The only thing I can think off at the moment is this: FastVoodoo drivers automatically overclocks the cards to 96Mhz (no idea why). This can persist after driver uninstall. Try to downclock the cards to 90 or even 88 Mhz and see if that helps.

You might also want to pull out the cards and test them one at a time.

Thanks, should have mentioned ruling out a SLI problem was my first step and the exact same behavior happens with a single card (I didn't try both of them though, I focused on the InnoVision as the Gainward has shitty blurry output). Still exactly the same problem. I also tried to downclock the card to factory default with FV4.6, same result.

I want to emphasize the problem doesn't only happen with FastVoodoo though, latest official 3.02.02 gives exactly the same results, while 3.03.00 and 3.03.00b work...which leads me to think official 3.02.02, FV4.0 Gold and FV4.6 must be doing something in common that make the P3B-F shit the bed when using a more advanced Nvidia AGP card.

When I find some time today I will try the Gainward alone to confirm it does the same too.

kolderman wrote on 2020-04-06, 01:05:

I also use the savage4 with v2sli (matched pair) and it works well. I do wonder if the mismatch is the underlying issue though ...

Thank you, unfortunately it is not a SLI issue, happens with a single card as well. And the Savage4 is the only card I've thrown at it that works as expected with all drivers, while TNT2, MX440 and Ti4200 have the issue.

Reply 4 of 6, by ptr1ck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I get this exact issue with my setup on a kt133 board. I did manage to get it working ok once with newer drivers, but then I swapped a couple PCI cards around and it went back to freezing. I also can't manage to get carmageddon 2 to run for more than a minute before freezing no matter the driver.

Everything works ok in XP with this setup.

"ITXBOX" SFF-Win11
KT133A-NV28-V2 SLI-DOS/WinME

Reply 5 of 6, by elcrys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a similar issue (or maybe the same). My setup (Win 98SE):

BCM BC845DL
Intel Mobile Pentium 4 2,3 GHz SL789 @ 1,6 GHz
512 MB DDR
nVidia GeForce4 MX440 128MB (128bit) AGP DVI XpertVision
3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB PCI PowerColor
NEC D720101GJ USB 2.0 PCI
ESS AudioDrive ES1869F ISA with wavetable ES981P
Transcend SSD510K 64GB Industrial SSD
IDE CD-ROM

Reference driver ​3.02.02 freezes OS and restarts PC during the first 2 minutes after startup (even on a clean OS installation with drivers only for gpus).
Athlon compatible Voodoo2 Driver (based on V3.02.02) OS works until some game will try to use V2 for 3D acceleration. The game will run for a few seconds and then restart again.
FastVoodoo2 v4.6 - the same as Athon based drivers.

The most interesting thing is that everything works fine if you will boot OS, wait around 5 minutes (this took me a lot of restarts to figure it out), then you can use V2 however you like and it's rock stable. I have repeatedly confirmed this - if you start the game too soon, PC will restart. Weird. I had some suspicion about memory mapping issue for V2 (if I remember correctly that was the purpose of the modded Athlon drivers), but I don't know.

EDIT:
I have found something that is probably related (unfortunately no solution):
http://falconfly.vogonswiki.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 … um=1312792916/1

Reply 6 of 6, by ptr1ck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think a proper combination of chipset drivers, video card drivers and directx version fixed up my issues. I found "Asus VGA Driver V305" on archive.org and it has been exactly what I needed for my Asus Geforce4 ti4200 8x 128mb. I believe it includes chipset drivers for most chipsets as well. It did for my VIA KT133A with version 4.45 (Asus variant of 4.43 methinks). For my Voodoos, I run a variant of 3.02.02 with the control panel from 3.03.00 since the 3.02 is always bugged for me.

If you don't want to go the all in one CD route, make sure you install chipset drivers before any video card drivers. I always install Voodoo 1/2 drivers last.

"ITXBOX" SFF-Win11
KT133A-NV28-V2 SLI-DOS/WinME