VOGONS

First post, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,
I have this ISA 16bit Video card from G2 (later sold under the name Video7 and Headland) that I don't use. I was thinking of trading it or selling, but before doing so I wanted to test the card. And I did on my main system (Socket 370 P3 with ISA slot) but doesn't output anything. The card looks in very good condition and I'm thinking the Dip-Switches aren't configured for it to work on a newer system. With some research I found this Czech forum discussing about the card and some links were provided with documentation:
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics-cards/U … -VGA-1024I.html
https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/6.828/2010/reading … adoc/VIDEO7.TXT

But I'm unable to find the right combination out of 256 ones.

FXGGqwU.jpg

4fkCljX.jpg

Also under the main chip there are three pins, maybe a jumber goes there? I don't know...
Any suggestion is appreciated, thanks in advance 😀

Reply 1 of 6, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a similar card, but mine has the DIP switch block on the bracket, just like that one described on stason.org
So, all I can suggest is:
- your switch #4 (FastWrite) seems to be neither ON nor OFF
- before writing off the card as "faulty", test it in some other machine - AGP boards aren't good for testing ISA graphics cards, I've had some cases of ISA cards refusing to start in such a board, but then working fine in earlier machines

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 3 of 6, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aaronkatrini wrote on 2020-04-16, 13:33:

BTW, what switch configuration is your card using?

Everything ON, only 6 and 7 OFF, ie. "Force 8-bit ROM access" and "Force 8-bit Memory access"

Also, the jumpers:
E1: 2-3
E2: 1-2

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 4 of 6, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you Grzyb! 😀
The card is now working!! All I had to do was set the #4 switch to the "up" position. It booted right up, I can't believe it!
It is displaying very vivid clear colors, but the speed is not very good. I tried to run Dangerous Dave and it is a bit slow when switching scenes, making for an unpleasant gameplay overall. This is what it is reporting on Navratil:

m9s6mOC.jpg

You saved me a lot of time and spared a lot of headache! 😀

Reply 5 of 6, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aaronkatrini wrote on 2020-04-16, 17:43:

It is displaying very vivid clear colors, but the speed is not very good. I tried to run Dangerous Dave and it is a bit slow when switching scenes, making for an unpleasant gameplay overall.

Switch #7 seems to be set to "Force 8-bit Memory access" - you can try toggling it, 16-bit memory access should speed it up.