VOGONS

First post, by peg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,
I have a Voodoo 5500 AGP I recently acquired and unfortunately there is lots of noise in the video output. These "wavy rolling lines" are all over the place in the picture and it's very obvious on grey/white backgrounds and quite annoying to look at. I've tested the card on multiple motherboards and get the same results so I know the issue is with the card.

Is this something that can be fixed? My assumption is that is needs to have the capacitors replaced but I'm not sure if that would fix it. Has anyone seen this before or fixed this issue?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 1, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've experienced something similar on a motherboard with bulging caps. Every Graphics card you'd put on that motherboard, it showed the image with transparent vertical lines jumping up and down, sometimes going brighter and darker, sometime the lines would fade and then in a couple of seconds they would appear even stronger and after two seconds disappear again repeating in cycle all the symptoms.
From your description I'd think something is wrong with the caps. AKBKUKU did a video where he recapped the V5 5500: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLjBqS8Sgdc

Also if you can, please upload one screenshot and one photo of the screen. If the problem is only on the photo then it would mean that the problem is in the Vga output circuitry not on the chip or memory chips.