VOGONS

First post, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am burning my time on a lot of crazy benchmarking projects involving 486 and Pentium computers in DOS and Windows 3.1

My reference card I use most when comparing performance is currently this Diamond Stealth 64 Video 2001 with Trio 64V+ and 2MB EDO DRAM.

DSC_7168.jpeg
Filename
DSC_7168.jpeg
File size
865.76 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It is a good card. Mostly trouble-free and I have a database of a plenty of test results captured with this card. However, performance-wise it is just average performer compared to some newer models. So I've been thinking about switching my reference card to something else. Like this Diamond Viper V330:

DSC_7167.jpeg
Filename
DSC_7167.jpeg
File size
979.54 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Or a card with Tseng ET6000, Matrox Millenium or something more modern (3Dfx Banshee?). I don't care about 3D, it is 2D host speed and Win 3.1 GUI acceleration I am after.

The pros/cons of Riva 128 are as follows:

+ Faster performance (less bottleneck) in both DOS and WIndows
+ Native VBE 3.0 BIOS
+ Bright image and much better DAC and nice looking DOS font
- allegedly perfect DOS/Win 3.1 compatibility
- Period incorrect for most of my retro systems
- Might have compatibility issues with some early PCI motherboards?

The pros/cons of staying on Trio64:
+ I have huge database of past results taken with this card
+ Very common and easy to compare results with others
+ Period correct
+ I also own this S3 Trio64 in VL-Bus copy which makes for nice cross-bus comparisons
- Only average performer
- VBE 2.0 only
- Image quality isn't great when compared to some other cards

Please help me pick the right card 😀

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 1 of 10, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think S3 as a reference is perfect. I don’t know what kind of marketplace saturation S3 had back in the day (I had one briefly before I bought my Rendition Verite) but I still see a ton on eBay.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 3 of 10, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For me, "reference" is the earliest/slowest product in its category.

8088@4.77 is the reference for all PC CPUs
386SX@16 is the reference for 32-bit CPUs
IBM PS/2 Display Adapter is the reference for VGA cards
S3 Trio is pretty good as the reference PCI graphics exactly because it isn't very advanced

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść no moja górę, lecz i w tym, ze ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 4 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

+ Faster performance (less bottleneck) in both DOS and WIndows

You won't get any faster performance on 486 or early Pentium, outside of Doom or some such. See my testing, I have Diamond Stealth 64 2001 in there too: PCI Video cards benchmark: Electric Boogaloo Edition

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 10, by PC-Engineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would recommend to stay with the Trio64. There are some points which are wighted very high for comparisons.

- it‘s easy to compare the results with others or others with yours
- possibility of cross bus comparisons (very interesting for 486 world and Pentium too - the center of gravity of DOS)
- a very compatible (Hardware and Software wise) and common DOS card and easy to obtain

On the other hand why not consider a constant Side-Kick to your Trio64, which has more features and higher performance for special high end tests and cross bus Comparisons with PCI-AGP? Maybe with DVI?
My favorites for this would be:

- Matrox G450 - PCI 2.0 compatible, AGP 4x & PCI Version, very fast, very crisp, DVI available
- Matrox G200 - PCI 2.0 compatible, AGP 2x & PCI Version, very fast, very crisp
- V3 3000 - PCI 2.0 compatible, AGP & PCI Version, very fast - BUT: AGP is bad implemented, high power consumption
- Riva128 - PCI 2.0 compatible, AGP & PCI Version, very fast

Epox 7KXA Slot A / Athlon 950MHz / Voodoo 5 5500 / PowerVR / 512 MB / AWE32 / SCSI - Windows 98SE

Reply 6 of 10, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks

A sidestep could be to use a card with S3 964/968, like Stealth 64 VRAM. Which delivers identical DOS performance with to Trio64 with faster Windows acceleration due to dual-ported VRAM and better image quality (external DAC).

Yeah. It looks like problem is solved. I think I will stick with the Diamond Trio64 as I found at least one 486 PCI board which does't boot with the Riva128 PCI card in.

Interestingly, feipoa used a G200 PCI in his ultimate 486 and 686 series. I find Matrox cards to be sometimes problematic in DOS.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 7 of 10, by PC-Engineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DRAM is minimal slower in Windows than VRAM, if you chose resolutions and/or color depths with the half of typical memory usage than VRAM (e.g. DRAM: 800x600x16; VRAM: 800x600x32; both with 2MB).
On the other hand VRAM cards with S3 Vision are much harder to obtain, than DRAM cards, especially with VLB 😉 An the VRAM versions seem to be lower clocked, than the DRAM versions, except the Diamond VRAM versions. The Stealth64 Video VRAM VLB with S3 968 is nearly equal to the Miro S3 864 VLB and Spea Trio64 VLB. In general you lose in the DOS benchmarks with the VRAM cards appr. 5% to the DRAM versions from the same supplier (tested with Miro 20SD/SV and Spea Mirage/Mercury).

As a conclusion the Trio64 keeps a very good solution for DOS benchmarking.
But two of my three Trios have the „spagettized“ pictures on my TFTs, which i have with no other of my 50 ISA/VLB/PCI graphic cards. For „productive“ systems i would prefer the S3 Vision chips 864/868 and 964/968 with separate DAC.

Feipoa seems to have good experiences with the G200 😃

Epox 7KXA Slot A / Athlon 950MHz / Voodoo 5 5500 / PowerVR / 512 MB / AWE32 / SCSI - Windows 98SE

Reply 9 of 10, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Martin85 wrote on 2023-11-03, 13:51:

I just got one of these and was wondering what purpose does the 3,5mm jack has on the back of the card? Thanks!

Audio output for the MPEG decoder add-on.

Reply 10 of 10, by Martin85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheMobRules wrote on 2023-11-05, 02:16:
Martin85 wrote on 2023-11-03, 13:51:

I just got one of these and was wondering what purpose does the 3,5mm jack has on the back of the card? Thanks!

Audio output for the MPEG decoder add-on.

Thanks! Good info!