VOGONS

First post, by ktorpil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all. I'm looking around for 3dfx voodoo cards every once in a while and I'm seeing a steady rise in prices which makes me worry a lot. Right now my voodoo 5 works great with a couple of 90mm fans but I'm terrified of what would happen if it died. I mean, I have a Voodoo 3 3000 lying around but it's really slow. Since prime working examples of the voodoo 5 are around 300 dollars right now what should I get for the worst scenario (i.e. forsaking glide for them frames)?

TNT2 ? M64? A Geforce 2 ? 3? 4? 7950 ?

What's a reasonable AGP video card that can play DirectX 5-6-7 games flawlessly?

Thank you for your suggestions.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/HPNQzy

Reply 1 of 11, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The most direct replacement for a Voodoo 5 5500 would be a Geforce 2 GTS. That's the card that put the final nail in the 3dfx coffin back in 2000. Obviously, there are a couple things that make each Voodoo card special, but for practical purposes a Geforce 2 GTS will give you a very similar result in the vast majority of games and it will perform significantly better in most of them.

My memory is a little foggy on the details but there are some differences in image quality in certain situations between the various cards in the Geforce 2, 3, 4 and 5 series, but overall any of those should be fine for most games from that time period. The only cards that won't be faster than a Voodoo 5 in every situation are the lower end Geforce 2 MX and maybe 4MX 420 models.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 3 of 11, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

> What's a reasonable AGP video card that can play DirectX 5-6-7 games flawlessly?

I hope you are using your v5 in Glide in mode where possible...

The v5 was about the same as the original geforce, but about a year later. A geforce ddr would be ideal, but as they are very rare, a geforce 2 would be fine.

Reply 4 of 11, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ktorpil wrote on 2020-05-09, 22:09:

What's a reasonable AGP video card that can play DirectX 5-6-7 games flawlessly?

A GeForce 2 is probably the best overall solution since you can run some fairly early nvidia drivers with it, which might help out with compatibility in some older games.

The second best and probably cheapest solution is the GeForce 4 MX440. Same feature set as the GeForce 2, but clocked slightly faster and with better memory management. They usually have passive cooling which is great if you want a quiet retro system.

Be careful when picking the card, since there are a bunch of them out there with a 64-bit memory interface. You want one with a 128-bit interface for optimal performance. Stick with driver version 40.72 or 30.82, depending on whether the card is AGP 8x or 4x.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 7 of 11, by ktorpil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Of course I bought the Voodoo cards just for glide.

I didn't know nglide worked in Windows 98.

Well I just checked and I have directX 8 on the machine. Nglide requires 9 right? I don't want to install it so that's gg. Geforce 2 GTS seems good. But a 4 MX is obviously much easier to find. Even though I got one of these I still can't have glide emulation without directX 9 right?

Reply 8 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ktorpil wrote on 2020-05-10, 21:12:

Of course I bought the Voodoo cards just for glide.

I didn't know nglide worked in Windows 98.

Well I just checked and I have directX 8 on the machine. Nglide requires 9 right? I don't want to install it so that's gg. Geforce 2 GTS seems good. But a 4 MX is obviously much easier to find. Even though I got one of these I still can't have glide emulation without directX 9 right?

Not with Nglide, that requires a card that supports DirectX 9 , not just the software runtime .

You could always try this but it will be far from perfect http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/readme.htm#reqs

Reply 9 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably the PowerVR Kyro:

- 3dfx's old rival
- Came out in 2000 so still period correct
- Like V5, it can't do DX7 stuff but can do other novel features no game cares about.
- Tailored for 16-bit stuff with the postprocess dither with internal 24/32bit color buffers, slightly similar to Voodoo's filter-the-dither to-pretend-32bit-but-its-22bit strategy.
- Similarly to 3dfx, the marketing department were a little full of themselves and exited the PC 3d hardware market when they couldn't compete.
- Some card boxes (i.e. Hercules) follow a similar tattooed face scheme to STB 3dfx's marketing which super 3dfx fans seem to be super fond about.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 11, by ktorpil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2020-05-11, 02:16:
Probably the PowerVR Kyro: […]
Show full quote

Probably the PowerVR Kyro:

- 3dfx's old rival
- Came out in 2000 so still period correct
- Like V5, it can't do DX7 stuff but can do other novel features no game cares about.
- Tailored for 16-bit stuff with the postprocess dither with internal 24/32bit color buffers, slightly similar to Voodoo's filter-the-dither to-pretend-32bit-but-its-22bit strategy.
- Similarly to 3dfx, the marketing department were a little full of themselves and exited the PC 3d hardware market when they couldn't compete.
- Some card boxes (i.e. Hercules) follow a similar tattooed face scheme to STB 3dfx's marketing which super 3dfx fans seem to be super fond about.

You've given the literal answer to my question. A friend of mine had it back in the day and boasted about how it destroyed my S3 trio + diamond monster combo. I got my eyes on a Kyro II and it's cheap. But I'm still looking for something with glide emulation on dx8

Reply 11 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GeForce FX 5600 or higher with zeckensack's glide wrapper should do the trick. DX8 mode isn't half bad.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.