VOGONS

IBM Aptiva - which graphics card?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've made my decision, and restored the system to its original condition.
K6-233 with 32MB SDRAM.
Only the 4GB hard disk is still present and the compactflash adapter.

Running the 3Dmark 99 tests gives me an amazing 120 3Dmarks and 1274 CPU marks. Been watching a slide show...

So I put in my Diamond Monster Voodoo 1 card and it worked just fine on a stock Windows driver. No issues at all. And image quality, well.. guess I don't need to explain anything 😀

Touching the GPU chips I noticed they get really hot, almost untouchable. Is this normal?

Any way, the 3Dmark 99 score went up to 927 3Dmarks and 1275 CPU marks.

Since both the Aptiva and Monster card are dated 1997, I guess it'll stay this way for now. The other cards need to be tested in other systems, and maybe, hopefully, they'll work.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 21 of 23, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So the PCI TNT2 wasn't working with my Aptiva. Yesterday I tested it on a MSI socket A board and it worked like a charm.

Well, ok, its performance was about 25% of the AGP TNT2 that was on it before in every test I threw at it (all tests from Phills bundle and 3D mark 99).

So this proves the Aptiva does have PCI issues on more modern hardware 🙁

Also tested the voodoo 2 but it wouldn't even get detected in Windows 🙁 🙁

On the other hand: I know the MSI KT3 Ultra and Athlon XP1800 still work after years 😀
And no bad caps 😁

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 22 of 23, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No bad caps on the Kt3? Impossible. I recently recapped my KT3 Ultra2 and hald the 1000uF 16V Teapo caps were dead..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23 of 23, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-06-13, 08:12:

No bad caps on the Kt3? Impossible. I recently recapped my KT3 Ultra2 and hald the 1000uF 16V Teapo caps were dead..

As far as i have 'tested' that is. By looking at the caps I did not spot any leakage and none had been swollen. Windows 98 and several practical programs did install without issues and 10 times 3Dmark 99 plus most of Phills set of dosbench tests (with 6 graphics cards) also went without failure or instability. I did not actually measure then with a multimeter...

Stuck at 10MHz...