VOGONS

Reply 20 of 46, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2020-05-22, 21:38:

My favorite build is my Voodoo 5 Shuttle:

Dude... Do you have a thread showcasing this? It looks great!

As for me:

Voodoo1 4MB (Diamond Monster3D)
Voodoo2 12MB SLI (Guillemot MaxiGamer 2 + Orchid Righteous 2)
Voodoo Banshee PCI (Creative CT6750)
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
Voodoo 3 3000 PCI
Voodoo 5 5500 AGP

I did not own a 3Dfx card back then and only really started buying them from the mid 00's and onwards. The only one that sees constant use is my Voodoo5. The Voodoo2 cards are each split among computers, one is in use on a K6-III+ system and the other... may actually not be installed anywhere now that I think about it! I mostly use it to test CPU scaling. The Banshee is the most recent addition, lucked out and got it for free from someone locally that was giving it away along with a Celeron system. Found a nice spot on my Pentium Pro system.
I've never owned a Voodoo Rush or a Voodoo4, but I don't really care about either.

Reply 21 of 46, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Garrett W wrote on 2020-05-25, 19:31:

Dude... Do you have a thread showcasing this? It looks great!

I think I've posted it in a few threads here, but never dedicated a thread to it. When I get some time, I'll take some more pictures and do some benchmarks. 😀

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 22 of 46, by Oj0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an extremely tiny collection.

Voodoo2 12MB - Skywell Magic 3D II
Voodoo2 12MB - Creative CT6670
Voodoo4 4500 APG - PowerColor EvilKing 4

I’d love to add a Voodoo Graphics, Voodoo3 3000 and Voodoo5 5500/6000 to my collection, but they’ve all become extremely pricey.

Bondye: Pentium II 400MHz, AOpen AX6BC EZ, 256MB PC-100, 40GB IDE HDD, PowerColor EvilKing 4 Voodoo4 4500 AGP
Daily Driver: Core i7-4790K, Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming5, 16GB DDR3-1600, 120GB SSD + 10.5TB SATA HDD, GeForce GTX 1050

Reply 23 of 46, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiretap wrote on 2020-05-22, 21:38:
Had a Creative Voodoo Banshee PCI back in the day, got it for Christmas in middle school. Unfortunately it died around the year […]
Show full quote

Had a Creative Voodoo Banshee PCI back in the day, got it for Christmas in middle school. Unfortunately it died around the year 2000 and I tossed it back then. (bad artifacting)

My favorite build is my Voodoo 5 Shuttle:
hs3CPgU.jpg

That's....incredible.

Reply 24 of 46, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Success. Got my voodoo2 working. Looked at the card level from front and side, saw one of the capacitors crooked. Just pressed it down level and hey presto, no more black blocks in place of the mouse pointer when hovering over taskbar
Actually, still faulty. Had installed fast gold edition drivers. Still flakey further on when active in diablo 2. I'm done with this voodoo card. Dunno what the appeal is compared to my radeon

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
Soundblaster SB0100 + Altec Lansing ADA885
ATi Radeon X800XT 256MB GDDR3
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 25 of 46, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I only have two.

A PCI Voodoo 3 2000
A AGP Voodoo 3 3000

Nothing uncommon or rare, although the PCI card came from some kind of 90's arcade machine. I can't remember the game the seller did tell me.

Reply 26 of 46, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maverick85 wrote on 2020-05-26, 08:38:

Success. Got my voodoo2 working. Looked at the card level from front and side, saw one of the capacitors crooked. Just pressed it down level and hey presto, no more black blocks in place of the mouse pointer when hovering over taskbar
Actually, still faulty. Had installed fast gold edition drivers. Still flakey further on when active in diablo 2. I'm done with this voodoo card. Dunno what the appeal is compared to my radeon

Most people working on their rigs tend to prefer the parts they use to be non-defective though 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 27 of 46, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I only have 2x 8MB Diamond Monster 3D II and a Skywell Magic 3D V1.

8MB because 12mb cards are starting to cost an arm and a leg on Ebay and i scored these two for a less then the price of a 12mb pair.
Probably coulda got a V3 for even less but uhh....sli though ;-;

Kinda want one of those 6mb V1 cards in the future. Their just so odd to me.

Reply 28 of 46, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had about 80 3dfx cards, down to 40 now and staying on that level (I think.... )

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 29 of 46, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Two voodoo3s. One PCI and one AGP. That is all.
I used to have Canopus Pure3D 6MB and Odsidian2 X24, but I got tired of them stinking up my VGA signal.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 31 of 46, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

not much, I have 2 Monters 3d II 8MB, one still works OK, provided I cool it with a fan, the other crashes after a few minutes regardless,
and a V4 4500 PCI, this card works perfectly on windows games, but the fan is not in great condition, also it's not a good card for DOS because it gives some artifacts at certain resolutions sadly.

actually I think the monster 3d II is the first piece of PC hardware that I bought already with the mentality of retro hardware, around 2003, probably for something like 10 USD.

Reply 32 of 46, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's what I have:

(3) PCI 3dfx Vodooo 4MB
(3) PCI 3dfx Voodoo 2 12MB
(3) AGP 3dfx Voodoo Banshee
(1) AGP 3dfx Voodoo Banshee (Boxed)
(1) AGP 3dfx Voodoo 3 1000 (Compaq)
(3) AGP 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000
(1) AGP 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 (5.5ns RAM)

Fairly modest compared to you guys, but it serves me well.

The only things left that I am interested in obtaining are:

PCI 3dfx Vodoo Banshee
PCI 3dfx Voodoo 3 2000/3000
AGP 3dfx Voodoo 4 4500

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 33 of 46, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never had a Voodoo card in the 90s, they were just way too expensive for me (for example, when Voodoo 2 came out in 1998, its price was almost 3 x the monthly median income in my country).
Under those circumstances, it was a real miracle that I even had a PC back then (and I have my mother to thank for that and for my whole career basically, since having a PC was crucial for it)
So, obviously, until the year 2000 I played exclusively in software mode, with my trusty Ati Rage II 4MB 3D decelerator.... 😁 Anyway, in December 2000, I finally bought a Riva TNT2 M64. Man, I will always remember how I ran to the bus station, took the bus, got off the bus, continued running to the computer store, purchased the card, ran back to the bus station, and so forth, until I finally arrived home out of breath 😁. I quickly replaced the card, booted into Windows 98, installed the drivers aaand... BSOD (the ATI driver had not been uninstalled properly). So I did a fresh Windows 98 install and reinstalled Need for Speed Porsche (a game that my Rage II was unable to render with actual textures 😀 ). And, boy, did my jaw drop when I saw how the Alps, Schwarzwald and Cote d'Azur levels were supposed to look and how "smooth" it ran (in hindsight, it wasn't that smooth, it probably ran at 20 - 25 FPS max, but it was PERFECT for me). I remember playing it until 4 AM, being absolutely mesmerized. I never had this feeling with any upgrade since then, and never will.

So... having said that, I am now obsessed with 3dfx cards, so I have quite a few (but definitely not as many as I'd like):
- 3 x Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
- 1 x Voodoo 3 2000 PCI
- 2 x Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo 2 (used in SLI)
- 1 x Gainward Voodoo 2 (the one with green heatsinks)
- 2 x Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo 1 4MB

Still looking for a Voodoo 5. Actually, I just "purchased" one from eBay for $50 (shipping included), from a seller in China with no previous activity - even though the account was one year old. I decided to take the risk, but right after I purchased the card, the account was deleted by eBay on suspicion of "shady activity", so I immediately reported it to paypal. Funny enough, even though the seller's account was deleted, eBay notified me that the item had been shipped and actually gave me the tracking number 😀) So now I'm quite curious to see what I will actually receive (probably a few pebbles).

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 34 of 46, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I have a working Voodoo 3 AGP and two faulty Voodoo 3 AGPs. When the good one dies, it will be game over and the PC will have to go to the trash.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 36 of 46, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote on 2020-06-02, 16:04:

Well, I have a working Voodoo 3 AGP and two faulty Voodoo 3 AGPs. When the good one dies, it will be game over and the PC will have to go to the trash.

I have more than I know what to do with, drop me a note and I'll send you one. I'm sure you would have something I'd be interested in. 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 37 of 46, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-06-02, 20:46:

I have more than I know what to do with, drop me a note and I'll send you one. I'm sure you would have something I'd be interested in. 😀

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. 😉 I have no idea what I might have that will interest you, my retro hardware collection is nt nearly as impressive as that of some of the enthusiasts here. 😁

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 39 of 46, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

V3 3000 AGP, Banshee PCI (i think it's dead), Banshee AGP, soon to have a V1 4mb to go in my P2 system. I'm using/have used most of them so they are not shelf trophies. I'd love a V2 but it's not really necessary.

Watching LGR's V3 3500 unboxing was a nice vid. Glad I don't have to worry about that massive breakout cable... nutty.