VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

I remember back in the early 2000's I had a ultra low notebook based on a Celeron Mobile 266Mhz, something like that and this NeoMagic 256AV graphic chip. Back then I remember that it was supporting only 2D acceleration and no 3D drivers seems to be available. But I also remember to have read some opinions that the chip itself may have had some 3D support / unknown drivers for Direct3D. Was that a myth or really it could have supported Direct3D? And anyway was that any good in DOS games or anything 2D compared to the alternative desktop older solutions?
I remember back than I spent a lot of time looking for those drivers but I end up using it only in 2D (Half Life ran quite well in software mode).
Bye

Reply 2 of 2, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Putas wrote on 2020-05-23, 15:20:

It was a myth caused by one software combination reporting d3d ability.

I imagined that was the end of the story. I remember I wanted so much to see Direct3D acceleration on that, maybe just for the wow effect to see an hardware accelerated mobile device when almost no devices (if not any at all) could still have a 3D gpu into it (beside full size notebooks or some smartphone of those years had some ATi based core inside like a Sony Ericsson I had that effectively had 3D acceleration into it). But to play Half Life or something like that on such device it'd have been awesome. Those Sony micro notebook were so cool at that time.